Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midi keyboard entry level

Options
  • 18-12-2013 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i wanted to dabble in creating some tracks for a short film in doing. Im basically looking for a simple entry level midi keyboard that i can load sound sets onto and record track on the computer. Also if anyone could name some decent applications for record tracks that would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Drakesha

Get the cheapest, simplest MIDI controller without sounds, get a freeware DAW
    (music recording software), something like 'Reaper', and load some free VST (virtual instruments, there are thousands of them on the net.. So you'd be able to control software sounds with your controller and record/mix/edit straight into the DAW. You'd need to learn some MIDI basics though.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Thank you very much for your reply. Are you aware of any cheap midi controllers? It's not my area at all so I wouldn't know where to start. I used reaper in college so I'm familiar enough with it. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Drakesha

Cheap? ...depends.. You can get the cheapest for around 150EUR - 2.5 octaves, middle range full weighted keys would be around 400-500EUR. Try Waltons, S Great George's St, or Music Maker, Exchequer St, Dublin 2, they all have more less the same stuff.
    Make sure you get a USB keyboard, unless you have an external soundcard with MIDI in/out.
    If this is one off project, there's a virtual MIDI keyboard in Reaper, you can use it for basic melodies/chords, and you can also insert notes by point/click as well.
    Google 'Free VST instruments' on a web, copy all .dll files to the Plugin/VSTi directory in Reaper and 'Clear cache/re-scan.(There's no instruments in Reaper)
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Thanks a million you've been a great help

Advertisement