Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foster child leaving home at 18.

Options
  • 18-12-2013 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I'm posting here on behalf of a friend in the hopes of getting some information for them. They are currently 17 and turn 18 in the coming months, due to a recent issue where they no longer feel welcome at home they hope to move out when 18. They're wondering that in the event of them moving out on turning 18 would they get any help from the HSE in the form of money or anything else so that they could get set up somewhere else?
    They're afraid to go to the HSE and ask beforehand as their mother has told them they would not be let stay if they go to the HSE and so they simply want to leave if the situation at home stays the same.

So question is: Is a foster child who moves out on their own when 18 eligible to any aid or are they simply left to fend for themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi
    You or your mate need to talk to the HSE social worker who looks after the case or maybe something like Childline?

I know you say the foster parents say not contact the HSE but you should be able to discuss the situation in complete confidence with them, they might need mates permission to discuss matters with you though. I have a nasty feeling that what they're entitled to over and above the usual meagre social welfare anyone leaving home at 18 would get is phuq all!

Hope things work out OK

Rins

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

By mother do you mean foster mother or biological mother?
    I think they need to talk to their social worker in confidence.
    Is it a long term placement or short term one?
    Is it a normal family argument or more serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

I agree with Moonbeam, the young person needs to speak to the sw on their case. A FP should never put pressure on a fchild asking them not to go to the HSE. As a fparent myself, I never look forward to my fchild moving out or moving on but sometimes thats just they way it happens. Iv always had money saved in the childs/youngpersons name for them as a "fund" or backup. The HSE will assist them in getting full sw benefit and also rent allowance, they will also be allocated an out of care sworker to assist them in the transition. Best of luck with it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If your friend is concerned about the confidentiality of their social worker, they should contact EPIC (formerly the Irish Association for Young People in Care). They could give definitive answers. They are a great suppprt for kids who have been through the care system.

Is your friend in and planning on continuing in education? The HSE may have a duty of care to provide funding and or supported accomodation in this case.

I would highly recommend your friend doing all of this while they are still 17 as things drastically change within the services when they turn 18.

Advertisement