Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Entrepreneurship and the role of RTE

Options
  • 17-12-2013 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

I am not a social entrepreneur although recently I have been thinking about how social problems in Ireland might best be tackled. Unlike many in this country I am passionately opposed to donating to charities, anyone who has read Dambisa Moyas book Dead Aid will understand why. The recent controversy around the central remedial clinic is one symptom of the cancer which charities represent. * Giving to charity very often feeds the underlying problem.

So if giving directly to a cause feeds the problem, what can be done to solve the problem. One idea which is mentioned in the bible is the idea of sharing knowledge and wisdom rather than direct aid: If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day but if you teach him how to fish he will feed himself and his family for life.

In Ireland, I think we need to get lifestyle coaches and motivational speakers into the inner cities to share their knowledge and experience with homeless people and young people from disadvantaged backgrounds. These speakers are often highly paid professionals who are paid by companies to coach their high flyers but perhaps they could also be persuaded to volunteer their time and speak in community centers, scout halls, schools and GAA clubs.

The main challenge would be in getting young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to adopt the ideas of self improvement and character building as a lifestyle choice and once off talks will not do that.

It seems to me though, that this is the type of work the national broadcaster RTE ought to be doing. After all, it is not just the young and the homeless who are affected. The are so many social problems manifesting throughout society that the tv licence fee really should be used to give people new perspectives that will guide them away from destructive behavior.

Programs like Secret Millionaire are fine for their entertainment value but I am inclined to think they are not direct enough. People need to be told directly what is and is not acceptable. Sensitivity is fine but the consequences of irrational behavior really ought to be laid bare for all to see.

And it is not just the most disadvantaged who would benefit from exposure to rational perspectives. The property mania and speculation of the naughties suggest the notions and ideas of vast swathes of society need to be redirected toward more objective and reasoned thought processes.

So what is my idea? I guess it is a national movement toward a more philosophical and wisdom centered society.

Advertisement