Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness Benefit Question

Options
  • 17-12-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was made redundant earlier this year and have been in receipt of a weekly jobseekers benefit payment. I am now in a position where my doctor is not happy for me to work due to a stress related mental illness so I'm looking at moving over to Illness Benefit.

I know the payment rates are no better on illness benefit than they are on jobseekers benefit, but there are two reasons I'd like to move. One is that it's more proper - I am not working due to illness and not as a result of being simply unemployed as such. Second is that illness benefit can run for up to 2 years whereas jobseekers benefit only lasts 9 months. I know that after 9 months I could switch to jobseekers allowance, but that's means tested and I wouldn't qualify on account of my wifes earnings.

My question is - can I claim illness benefit even though I am not employed and have no employer at the time of making the claim ?

Regarding PRSI contributions, I've got them all fully paid up from 2012 right back to 1999 so there should be no issues there.

I would appreciate any feedback and many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you doctor deems you not fit to work then you need to apply for illness benefit. You do not have to be in employment to receive illness benefit once you have the qualifying number of contributions. From what you say perhaps you should have been on illness benefit all the time as you are not a jobseeker if your not fit for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BanjoSpanner

eastbono wrote: »
    If you doctor deems you not fit to work then you need to apply for illness benefit. You do not have to be in employment to receive illness benefit once you have the qualifying number of contributions. From what you say perhaps you should have been on illness benefit all the time as you are not a jobseeker if your not fit for work.

Thanks for your feedback and yes I can see how you might draw the conclusion that I should have been on illness benefit all along. I guess it's just that after being made redundant it seemed like the natural thing to do to go on jobseekers benefit while looking for another job. Unfortunately I've had a hell of a year, in rapid succession after loosing my job I had two close family members die and a whole myriad of other major bad life events crop up. They all added up to where I'm finding myself today, basically not capable to hold down a job for now.

Thanks again.

Advertisement