Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preacher who denigates Shia Muslims & Christians touring Ireland

Options
  • 17-12-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Saudi preacher Adel al-Kalbani is visiting the Muslim Centre of Ireland on Dec 30th. Ironically, he doesn't believe in freedom to worship for either Shia Muslims or Christians:

http://www.memritv.org/clip_transcript/en/2102.htm
    heik Adel Al-Kalbani: With regard to the laymen among the Shiites – this is debatable. But their religious scholars – I view them as apostates.

Interviewer: All of them?

Sheik Adel Al-Kalbani: With regard to the religious scholars, yes.

[...]

Interviewer: Are you in favor of allowing religious liberties in general?

Sheik Adel Al-Kalbani: For us, liberty has limits. Would you allow a mosque to be built in the Vatican?

Interviewer: Sheik Adel, the Vatican is the center of the papal church, while the holy places in Saudi Arabia belong to Muslims of all sects and schools.

Sheik Adel Al-Kalbani: But in the Vatican, they do not allow [a church] to be built for the Protestants.

[...]

Interviewer: Where can Christians [pray]?

Sheik Adel Al-Kalbani: Christians are allowed to pray in their homes. We have no problem with them praying where they live. But for the bells to be sounded in the land of the Prophet Muhammad – that [runs counter] to the Prophet's guidance. The Prophet's guidance, by which we act, dictates: "Drive the Jews and the Christians out of the Arabian Peninsula." Driving them out is undoubtedly the prerogative of the ruler, but they should be allowed to live here only if their presence is essential.

Does anyone have more information about the Muslim Centre of Ireland and its associations?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Do you have another source that isn't Memri, as they have been known to make stuff up:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/MEMRI#Issues_of_reliability_and_veracity

Not to mention threatening critics:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/MEMRI#Threatening_Critics

Also, one of there founders is former Israeli intelligence:
    Founders

MEMRI was co-founded by Meyrav Wurmser and Colonel Yigal Carmon, formerly of Israeli military intelligence, "both of whom were early critics of the Oslo accords." [11]

Now if the Memri translation is accurate and not a complete fiction, then its rather unfortunate that a Muslim groups is bringing this guy over.

I don't know much about the group, and there website doesn't have a lot of info, and they seem to be relatively new. Its also possible that they aren't aware of these comments and as quick search shows that his Quran recitations are pretty popular, and they may be inviting him over on that basis.

Ok, just did a search and his comments in regards to Shia's seem to be accurate, can't find nothing in regards to the comments on Christians. Wouldn't surprise me if Memri were playing fast and loose with the translation of what he said. Only other stuff are Quran recitations and some stuff in regards to his being in favor of music. I think inviting a preacher who engages in stoking Sunni/Shia sectarianism is a bad idea. There is a enough violence in Iraq and Syria right now due to this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Well, here's the original clip - if it's mistranslated, am willing to hear correct one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n17N5R_oX_Y

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Well, here's the original clip - if it's mistranslated, am willing to hear correct one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n17N5R_oX_Y

P.

Don't speak Arabic, so can't say if it accurate or not. Also, it wouldn't be impossible for Memri to butcher the clip to say something else, as they have done that in the past. The only accurate source, would be a video posted by the news channel themselves, and I can't seem to find one.

The stuff about Shia's is true, as I found another source (well 2) on it, but as a general rule for me, unless i can find the same information elsewhere, I tend to disregard anything from Memri, as there fairly unapologetic about there making stuff up, when it suits them, and not to mention being highly selective in what they translate.

You're right in that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. In this case, the assertion that a senior Saudi cleric doesn't want churches built in Saudi Arabia is hardly extraordinary though. As far as I'm aware, this is general the case in Saudi Arabia and clerics there have called for the destruction of churches:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/destroy-all-churches-in-gulf-says-saudi-grand-mufti-450002.html

I'm open to proof that there is freedom of worship for all in Saudi Arabia or even that some clerics are calling for it.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    You're right in that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. In this case, the assertion that a senior Saudi cleric doesn't want churches built in Saudi Arabia is hardly extraordinary though. As far as I'm aware, this is general the case in Saudi Arabia and clerics there have called for the destruction of churches:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/destroy-all-churches-in-gulf-says-saudi-grand-mufti-450002.html

I'm open to proof that there is freedom of worship for all in Saudi Arabia or even that some clerics are calling for it.

P.

Agreed that is the general view in Saudia Arabia, but Memri are known to make stuff up, so I simply don't trust them as a source, and I couldn't find anywhere else that backed up there other claims. IMHO, something posted by Memri is worthless due to there own deliberate lies and exagerations. Its not a case of extraordinary proof, its a case that Memri doesn't count as proof of anything imo.

Its perfectly possible that he said that, but I am not going to judge someone for saying something solely based on something from a source, that I know has lied and exaggerated about what people have said in the past. It would be unfair of me to do so, and I would disagree with such comment in regard to churches if he did say that, and his comments on Shia's which I was able to confirm via other sources are deplorable as I said earlier.

• Advertisement

Looks like he has been prevented entering the UK - not sure does that mean he'll be prevented entering here (or will even now attempt it):

http://www.arabnews.com/news/495121
    A former imam of the Grand Mosque in Makkah was stopped from traveling to Britain as he boarded his plane in Riyadh bound for London on Wednesday.
    Sheikh Adel Al-Kalbani had performed the noon and afternoon prayers together just before the boarding announcement at King Khaled International Airport’s departure terminal.
    “I was stopped at the door of the plane and told that the authorities received a message from the British Embassy saying that I was not allowed to enter Britain,” Al-Kalbani told Arab News.
    He had planned to visit the British Muslim community.
    He said he received his visa before the Haj season (in October) from the British Embassy in Saudi Arabia, within two weeks of submitting his application.
    The British Embassy did not explain why he was refused entry.
    “I don’t really know why they denied me entry. I was in Britain about four years ago and other countries,” he said.
    Alkalbani said he visited the US in the mid-1990s.
    He said the British Muslim community had arranged a series of events where he could speak and meet people in various UK cities, including London.
    “I was told that other Muslim scholars have also been denied entry and had their visas canceled. My gut feeling is that they don’t want to see me interacting with the Muslim community there,” he told Arab News.
    When asked if he would re-apply for a UK visa or seek clarification from the British Embassy, he said: “No. Alhamdullilah, He has chosen the best for me.”

Advertisement