Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High mileage Prius?

Options
  • 16-12-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Folks, I believe the warranty on the prius mk2 is 150k miles? Reviews online indicate some going strong up to 3-400k. Anyone any experience of owning one with 150k plus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 the_man

the_man wrote: »
    Folks, I believe the warranty on the priis mk2 is 150k miles? Reviews online indicate some going strong up to 3-400k. Anyone any experience of owning one with 150k plus?

Sorry dont know how to edit title...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I fixed it somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

the_man wrote: »
    Sorry dont know how to edit title...

I have only 90k miles on mine. With next to no problems,

Have just replaced discs, drop links and drivers wheel bearing.

But since I have never had to do a timing belt, dpf, dmf, and the fact tyres seem to going to last 55k miles and averaging over 60mpg. Pretty cheap thing to run.

I am actually bored off mine now but I can't find anything the it makes any sense to change to. I want auto, 55mpg actual not brouchure, criuse, leather, a boot long enough to take a full touring bycycle with the wheels on, and similiar running costs and reliability.

A mk3 Prius then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

as far as I know, the battery pack has an 8 year 150k mile warranty in the Mk II Prius

there are many online reports of them hitting 200k + with no issues whatsoever, granted there are a few failures too

I wouldn't worry about 150k+ on a Prius, especially the engine and drivetrain. Do your homework, get it looked over, try and get one with service history. It is still one of the most reliable cars ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I drove one from cork to dublin with 232000 miles on it, perfect driver, google million km Prius .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

650Ginge wrote: »
    I am actually bored off mine now but I can't find anything the it makes any sense to change to. I want auto, 55mpg actual not brouchure, criuse, leather, a boot long enough to take a full touring bycycle with the wheels on, and similiar running costs and reliability.

A mk3 Prius then.
    Is the boot practical, i.e. can you lay a complete bike? Are the rear seats flat when folded down? I never liked them, but it sounds like a practical thing that Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Seweryn wrote: »
    Is the boot practical, i.e. can you lay a complete bike? Are the rear seats flat when folded down? I never liked them, but it sounds like a practical thing that Toyota.

You can easy fit 2 bikes in them when the seats are folded down I have brought 2 full carbon road bikes down to Kerry and a few bags with loads off room to spare they are a great car

Carpenter wrote: »
    You can easy fit 2 bikes in them when the seats are folded down I have brought 2 full carbon road bikes down to Kerry and a few bags with loads off room to spare they are a great car
    That's great. With two bikes that sounds unexpectedly good and you are probably compliant with the Rule 25 - I assume it is the second generation Prius?.

Is the surface completely flat after seats are folded down, i.e. is the rear bench flat or at slight angle when folded down?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

That's great. With two bikes that sounds unexpectedly good and you are probably compliant with the Rule 25 - I assume it is the second generation Prius?.

Is the surface completely flat after seats are folded down, i.e. is the rear bench flat or at slight angle when folded down?

It is completely flat. That is another of my major problems with finding a replacement. I want a completely flat boot with the seat down and keep the 6ft from tailgate to back of front seats with the front seats fully back. There is certainly better cars out there but as a package I can't find anything that compares at least to my odd criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Super car I have a 8D Prius and my last car was a 10D IX35 and before that was an Audi A4 and I think the Prius is by far the better car

• Advertisement

650Ginge wrote: »
    It is completely flat. That is another of my major problems with finding a replacement. I want a completely flat boot with the seat down and keep the 6ft from tailgate to back of front seats with the front seats fully back. There is certainly better cars out there but as a package I can't find anything that compares at least to my odd criteria.
    Thanks. I have quite same requirements and used to have large estate cars, which are excellent, except some are not particularly fuel efficient or motor tax friendly. This looks like a fair alternative to a medium size estate car with lower running cost.

Thanks. I have quite same requirements and used to have large estate cars, which are excellent, except some are not particularly fuel efficient or motor tax friendly. This looks like a fair alternative to a medium size estate car with lower running cost.

Somebody else on here went from an old merc estate to a Prius and is very happy, not me btw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I know this guy personally through work who owns this particular Prius. I've actually been in the car a few times and only saw it again a few weeks ago
    Its running like clockwork...car is on the road daily and has done numerous cross europe journeys and he says it never missed a beat
    365,000miles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyWNr2bUrQU

Mine's a 07 MK II, just about 110K miles. 0 faults.

The car is pretty complex but the electrics have proven to be bullet proof, the gearbox is very simple 1 speed the CVT driven by a chain from the motor, the MK III has no chain and is even simpler.

The warranty on the hybrid for the MK II is 8 years 160,000( kms ) whichever comes first. The battery lasts the life of the car, failure is extremely rare.

There have been a few recalls, there should be receipts with any inspections/ or work carried out, as always get one with a full service history.

The prius is a very reliable car and one of the best used cars you will ever buy.

No timing belts, only 1 belt to drive the water pump, no belts on the MK III.

Everything is electric, the ac pump/ power steering and the engine is started by the generator, the alternator is taken care of by the main traction battery generator.

The motor should out last the engine.

One Nissan leaf in the U.S has reached 100,000 miles with 0 maintenance and 0 failures. Another car to look out for if the range is suitable.

If you can the MK III prius is a better car to drive and nicer inside and has a nice bit if extra poke when you need it.

20120601_211847.jpg

This is what can be achieved by using the hybrid to it's full potential, it doesn't involved driving like a snail.

Not bad for a petrol automatic using 10 year old technology.

A lot of prius bashers tell me they can get xx on the motorway bla bla but when it comes to it nobody has posted actual proof to back up their diesel claims of what they get per tank which is what matters and not some random trip reading taken with a warmed up engine.

I went from average 48 mpg in the A4 TDI to 64 in milder weather to 60-62 in colder weather.

Mad_lad, , you keep on referring to the mk III Prius being better without actually having experience of owning one ,bar a test drive , I believe.

I've had both a gen II and gen III in the family , and personally I prefer the Gen II Prius over the later one.

To me the Gen II has a unique old world Citreon like quality of relaxation about the way it operates , whereas the Gen III is more down the modern Mondeo / focus road! being firmer and chasing the "sportier" handling idiom which ruins many a modern car.

Prius' are now making silly money now,unlike in the past, but they are reliable.

Bigus wrote: »
    Mad_lad, , you keep on referring to the mk III Prius being better without actually having experience of owning one ,bar a test drive , I believe.

Correct, though actual owners rave about it as they did with the MK II so mainly I go by that. As I did before I bought the MK II
    I've had both a gen II and gen III in the family , and personally I prefer the Gen II Prius over the later one.

Probably more to do with the individual ?
    To me the Gen II has a unique old world Citreon like quality of relaxation about the way it operates , whereas the Gen III is more down the modern Mondeo / focus road! being firmer and chasing the "sportier" handling idiom which ruins many a modern car.

Well wasn't in it long enough to comment on handling etc.
    Prius' are now making silly money now,unlike in the past, but they are reliable.

Agreed, we got a cracking deal on ours though, they were going for a lot more at the time through dealers.

And imagine loads on boards telling me to run because there was outstanding finance owed ;)

Advertisement