Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed on Purchasing Laptop for College

Options
  • 16-12-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey, I'm looking to get a portable laptop mostly for college work (as I'm doing engineering it would involve using more than basic programs such as word, excel etc.), upon visiting a few shops I was advised to purchase the HP Pavilion Touchsmart 14-n056sa due to its processing power. Does anyone have experience with this laptop or know whether it'd be worth the relatively cheap price? Would there be any other alternatives that would be better or more worth the price in the long run? Apparently I'm saving €200 on it with PC World but searching around the web it seems to be priced at around €500 anyway.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-TouchSmart-14n056sa-14andrdquo-Touchscreen-Laptop/316276/104.9

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Yeah it's probably worth the money, has a 4th gen(newest) intel I3 processor. But it's still pretty meh. Performance wise you'd get get something just as fast for €100 less if you bought online. Would prob be a 3rd gen i3 but you'd not notice the difference.

Edit: Just to add there's no way it's worth €720. You'd get a decent spec'd i5 for that kinda money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

Joshua J wrote: »
    Yeah it's probably worth the money, has a 4th gen(newest) intel I3 processor. But it's still pretty meh. Performance wise you'd get get something just as fast for €100 less if you bought online. Would prob be a 3rd gen i3 but you'd not notice the difference.

Edit: Just to add there's no way it's worth €720. You'd get a decent spec'd i5 for that kinda money.

Thanks for the insight, so would you recommend any other laptop or laptop manufacturer in particular who'd offer a sleek/portable but fairly powerful device? Would you say upgrading to a Lenovo be worth the increase in price by say €100 or so?

http://shop.lenovo.com/eg/en/laptops/ideapad/u-series/u430-touch/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

bigt132 wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight, so would you recommend any other laptop or laptop manufacturer in particular who'd offer a sleek/portable but fairly powerful device? Would you say upgrading to a Lenovo be worth the increase in price by say €100 or so?

http://shop.lenovo.com/eg/en/laptops/ideapad/u-series/u430-touch/

I wouldn't like to recommend one as I'm not really an expert. I know that the most important thing is the processor and an i3 is probably the max you can get in your budget. Here for instance is pretty much the same laptop you linked with a slightly older but similar performance processor. Tbh brand names wouldn't interest me as long as the specs were good, although Lenova would be one of the more desirable brands and that is always a good indicator of quality.

Advertisement