Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long term sickness

Options
  • 16-12-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi just looking for some advice,i have been out of work for a few years and in that time I have had a heart attack.I am in my early 40s so its unusual.i have been getting letters from the social welfare about doing something with tus.I went and met the tus person and when she heard about my condition she said I should try and go on long term sickness.I didn't know about this at the time and I am just wondering is there any point in trying to get it now.The stuff tus would want me to do involves physical work which might be difficult for me.I still take tablets every day and I do walking and exercise everyday have a routine that I keep to and this would mess it up.Just some advice needed on weather its too late for me to go on it or indeed how to go about it.I lost a lot of confidence in myself after this reality is I will probably have another one again because I had one so young.dont want any trouble with sw,feeling quite stressed with this which is not good and could do with some pointers,thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

You don't have to accept a tus position if its not suitable for you. You should ask them if they could find you a non manual or desk job position.

Disability Allowance http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/da.aspx is designed for people who are expected to be unable to return to work for at least up to a year or more. This is a means tested payment. DA can last for years if you remain eligible after reviews.

Invalidity Benefit http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Invalidity-Pension.aspx is designed for people who may not be able to work long term or perhaps never again and is based on your prsi record.

New claims for either of these can take anything from 12-18months to get a final decision after any appeals you may have to make.

Your doctor will have to fill in your medical details, so first have a chat with him to see what he says or recommends re your ability to return to work in the short or long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tusnumber000

johnnyz wrote: »
    Hi just looking for some advice,i have been out of work for a few years and in that time I have had a heart attack.I am in my early 40s so its unusual.i have been getting letters from the social welfare about doing something with tus.I went and met the tus person and when she heard about my condition she said I should try and go on long term sickness.I didn't know about this at the time and I am just wondering is there any point in trying to get it now.The stuff tus would want me to do involves physical work which might be difficult for me.I still take tablets every day and I do walking and exercise everyday have a routine that I keep to and this would mess it up.Just some advice needed on weather its too late for me to go on it or indeed how to go about it.I lost a lot of confidence in myself after this reality is I will probably have another one again because I had one so young.dont want any trouble with sw,feeling quite stressed with this which is not good and could do with some pointers,thanks.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, if you want to avoid another heart attack and or serious side effects, avoid TUS at all costs. It is an ill thought out scheme with no back up supports for workers only threats of losing your payments. Try this link they may be of support for you.

http://www.irishheart.ie/iopen24/index.php

Advertisement