Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortcuts for text (Office 2007 / Windows 8)

Options
  • 16-12-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My Dad has just changed to a new PC with Windows 8 and Office 2007.
    He's trying to set up shortcuts for pieces of text in Word 2007 and Outlook 2007. For example: "Merry Christmas to You" - type MCTY and then this phrase would appear without having to type all of it.

He had this set up on Word and Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 with no problem but we can't figure out how to set it up again on Windows 8. I can't find out how to do it (I've been googling it for a while with no luck so far.)

Can someone please help? I would be so grateful if we can get this sorted out.
    My dad runs a charity, funding it mainly with his own cash. We can't afford to pay an expert.

Thank you very much,
    Warrior Monk

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If it's the same version of Office the methods should be the same. From memory its Click the round Office orb->Word Options>Autocomplete and you can add the custom autocorrect dictionary

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

Thanks Yoyo,

That option is great, being able to set shortcuts for pieces of text although it does not allow to format the text in advance(there is an option but it is greyed out).

Do you know how to get around this?

From my memory I think he was using a button called "Word Parts" in the "Insert" display on the old computer but I can't figure out how to use that again.

Thanks again Yoyo!

Warrior Monk

Thanks Yoyo,

That option is great, being able to set shortcuts for pieces of text although it does not allow to format the text in advance(there is an option but it is greyed out).

Do you know how to get around this?

From my memory I think he was using a button called "Word Parts" in the "Insert" display on the old computer but I can't figure out how to use that again.

Thanks again Yoyo!

Warrior Monk

Does anyone know how to do this? It's creating a lot of stress for my dad, not being able to do it.

Thank you,
    Warrior Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Warrior Monk

Still there - it's called 'Quick Parts'

Thanks Rockal,

We used to enter BTW (for example) and we had Quick Parts set up so that "By the way" would appear in on the page. We had this set up for loads of different expressions... and we had some of the expressions pre-formatted. We could type e10 and €10.00 would show up on the page.

Does anyone know how to do this? I seemed to be simple to set up before but I just cannot see it now.

Many thanks,
    Warrior Monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Suggested reading http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/autotext.htm
    Shows differences between Word 2003 and 2007

Thanks again Rockal,

I have tried every possibility with:

Quick Parts
    Auto Text
    Autocorrect dictionary

The link you provided is very informative but unfortunately I still cannot discover any way to set up a customised shortcut for a piece of text where the piece of text is formatted (ie. Bold and italics).

Nonetheless I really do appreciate your help.

Warrior Monk

Advertisement