Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Coming out as a modern family'

Options
  • 16-12-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Lovely article by the actress Maria Bello 'Coming out as a modern family' about how perceptions of 'family' and 'partnership' can be fluid in the modern age we live in. She strikes me as a very thoughtful, vulnerable and brave woman and I wish more women would make these kinds of statements as it just seems to be male stars who are coming out.

Strangely enough the part about the two sisters living together and raising a child and how their family changed was an argument I heard a politician make privately against civil partnership i.e. 'well two sisters living together for years don't have legal protection etc... blah' but Maria Bello's point is not about legal rights in that case it's about the legitimacy of family bonds something that politicians find difficult to get their heads around!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/fashion/coming-out-as-a-modern-family-modern-love.html?_r=0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Didnt notice this post untill today and really liked the article. I think the narrow definition of someone only being recognised as family when they are married to you to be inadequate. I hope gays and lesbians being allowed into the reserved space of marriage will widen the definition of family and not serve to narrow it

Advertisement