Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you wash mould off clothes?

Options
  • 16-12-2013 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if you can wash white mould successfully off of clothes? A few weeks back I was quite sick and long story short I somehow ended up getting sick on my favourite jeans. I threw the jeans in a black plastic bag and had intended to throw them into the washing machine later on but I completely forgot about them and only found them a week later. There's a white mould growing on them at this stage and they smell pretty bad. If they were any other jeans, I would throw them out but they're my favourite and were quite expensive so I'm a bit apprehensive about doing so. I was going to put them in the washing machine at a hot wash but I didn't think that would work.

Should I just cut my losses and bin them? Or has anyone a method for cleaning them properly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

I read somewhere that vinegar is good for it. Might be worth asking your local dry cleaners first if they can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Yep, throw a cup of white vinegar with them in normal wash- meant to do the job and should remove any odour too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Disgusting :eek:

I would throw them in the washer for a good spin first on its own,and yeah like the other posters said use lots of vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

I used that dettol spray(i think) for mould and mildew in bathroom on cloth that had been in my shed that got mouldy. Took all the mould away then i washed the item.
    P.s that is a gross story.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KillMona

Thanks for the suggestions.

Would I put the vinegar in the drum with the jeans (in those small plastic cups that come with the liquid detergent) or in the drawer of the washing machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Put some of the vinegar directly onto the moldy part of the jeans. Scrape as much off before you try washing them. Then put the rest of the vinegar into the wash (either the drawer or drum). Wash them straight away after putting the vinigear onto the jeans, don't leave them hanging around afterwards.

Word of warning, if they are a dark colour, they may have bleached from the acid in the vomit or the vinegar may take a bit of the colour out of them. They may require two washes to get the smell out too. Also, use bio detergent - much better than non bio at getting this kind of problem out of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I used that dettol spray(i think) for mould and mildew in bathroom on cloth that had been in my shed that got mouldy. Took all the mould away then i washed the item.
    P.s that is a gross story.

That stuff is really good for mould but it's pure bleach and I think it would ruin clothing.

Advertisement