Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Le Document' for French

Options
  • 16-12-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm preparing my 'document' which is a map of the country that I'm originally from (Latvia) and I already have a bunch of questions and answers prepared on it. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any questions that I mightn't have that are relevant to my 'document' so if ye come up with anything at all it'd be really helpful. Thanks :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Post your questions so people will know what you already have, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ratnas

I've questions like:
    What's the weather like?
    What is its history?
    What's the population/main religion/language?
    What countries border it?
    Why did you move to Ireland?
    Do you prefer Ireland or Latvia?
    Tell me about where you lived in Latvia?
    What was your school like?
    How is the Latvian education system different from the Irish one?
    How long have you lived here?
    Do you go back often?
    Do you have family over there?
    Would you ever move back?
    When you first came here was it difficult to learn the English language?
    What do you think about immigration?

Also, would just the map of the country be enough to have them ask me these type of questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

- Main cultural differences between Ireland and Latvia i.e. sports, cuisine etc.
    - Racism
    - Personal opinion of both countries
    - Problems in both countries e.g. finance, poverty etc.

A just a few extra! Best of luck!

Thanks! Those are really helpful!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What is its history? You could be there for years on that one.
    What about the large Russian language minority in Latvia? How are they treated? Again, a tin of worms.

If I were you, I would not use a map, I would use a more specific photo - perhaps a crowded beach in Jurmala, so you get easier questions on more predictable topics.

• Advertisement

About its history, I only have a couple of lines on the Soviet Union just in case it comes up.
    I do mention the large Russian language minority but I don't have a whole lot of detail on it, should I?

If I used a picture of a beach in Jurmala, like you said, do you really think that I'd be asked the questions that I'm hoping for? What about if I made a collage with 3 or 4 pictures instead?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

By mentioning the Russian minority, you could get an examiner who knows something about Latvia and get entangled in the whole non-citizen human rights issue. I know I wouldn't want to tackle that in French.

It gives you more chance to guide the conversation if you have a collage. It's also much more interesting for the examiner. Be ready though, in case they ask you about the actual making of your collage - how/why you chose the photos etc..

I would put pictures of scenic places - maybe Riga Castle, the new library, the Old Town, forests - you could talk about the fire in the castle, how Latvian people use the forests, 'vegetable gardens' etc.. Or the Zeppelin hangar markets - they would be an interesting thing to speak about and you could go off on tangents about the food.

Advertisement