Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a present...

Options
  • 15-12-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're looking at getting my father a model of some description for Christmas, to keep him occupied like, maybe develop a new hobby for him. He's 60 years of age so has all his faculties, he's very handy with DIY etc but this would be his first model. I don't want to get him something too easy, and the more complicated and time consuming the better, however I also don't want to get him something impossible. Suppose Im saying a 7 or 8 on the complicated scale. :D

He already owns a lot of model cars (metal display ones, pre made) so might steer away from cars and was thinking maybe ships?

Where's the best place to go, I work near the shop on Hawkin's Street, D2, have they a good selection?

Will everything he requires come with the model, paint, glue, brushes etc?

We're fairly stuck on what to get him and there's 4 of us so we can spend a few quid on it if needs be, €150ish? That might be barmy or it might not enough I haven't a clue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Anything else I need to take into account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not being smart but if you are that near the model shop why dont you pop in there and ask them yourself you will be able to see all of their models that they have on display, they will have all the info that you want and if he is into model cars there are a lot of very nice kits out there, sure he is only a young fellow at sixty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Whizzzz

You can also try Marks Models in Hawkins street - they stock a range of model kits too (ships etc) that might suit. If he's into trains that's also one of their main areas. Be careful though - you might create a Monster if he gets into trains (the attic or garage will be taken over in no time)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

podge018 wrote: »
    Hi, we're looking at getting my father a model of some description for Christmas, to keep him occupied like, maybe develop a new hobby for him. He's 60 years of age so has all his faculties, he's very handy with DIY etc but this would be his first model. I don't want to get him something too easy, and the more complicated and time consuming the better, however I also don't want to get him something impossible. Suppose Im saying a 7 or 8 on the complicated scale. :D

He already owns a lot of model cars (metal display ones, pre made) so might steer away from cars and was thinking maybe ships?

Where's the best place to go, I work near the shop on Hawkin's Street, D2, have they a good selection?

Will everything he requires come with the model, paint, glue, brushes etc?

We're fairly stuck on what to get him and there's 4 of us so we can spend a few quid on it if needs be, €150ish? That might be barmy or it might not enough I haven't a clue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Anything else I need to take into account?

If he is into cars, then this one would be a fair challenge. You would probably have to get it online now though. You would have to get paints, glue and brushes as well.

http://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=12733

A warship here would keep him occupied for a while as well.
    http://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=6372
    Again you will need the paints and brushes and glue as well.

Advertisement