Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to wear under deep V neck dress?

Options
  • 15-12-2013 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Dear all, one more question for you, please:

I'll be wearing a red and black dress for a Christmas party at work with a fairly deep V neck which shows a bit too much cleavage. The dress fabric is pretty classy and neat, I think it's called brocade.

What could I wear underneath it so it looks a bit more modest? (impossible to pin it together). Would a black lace cami work ok? I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.bitsoflace.com/hanky-panky-signature-lace-camisole-w-lining-13902.html

Or would the square neckline kill the V neck effect? Should I go with a lace V neck cami even if I know this will be visible? I really want to avoid the slutty look.

Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would have a look at www.marksandspencer.ie. Go into the woman's section and have a look under Vest & Camisoles.
    They have a number of black camisoles both plain and some with a small amount of lace.
    The one you showed us might be too lacy under a brocade dress.
    If you are near a marks bring the dress with you and fit on the camisoles and put the dress over them.
    You could also have a look in Dunnes or penneys as they have camisoles also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's hard to say without seeing the dress itself. A lot depends on the fabric & style.

Aside, I genuinely don't know why people buy dresses that they're going to have to change with the addition of a modesty panel etc. Even with the best matched fabric etc, it will look like an add-on to the dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

I got a gorgeous black lace cami in the underwear section in Penneys a few weeks ago..think it was about 4 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Maga

Thank you very much for your replies, really appreciate it. I'll look into those.

"Aside, I genuinely don't know why people buy dresses that they're going to have to change with the addition of a modesty panel etc."

1) Because sometimes this one dress may be the only thing that fitted them (apart from a small alteration)
    2) because they might not have the time to look for something else before an event
    3) because they might not be able to afford something else
    4) because their body type might require a modesty panel anyway in most types of dress
    5) because the dress might be gorgeous even with the small alteration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Maga wrote: »
    Dear all, one more question for you, please:

I'll be wearing a red and black dress for a Christmas party at work with a fairly deep V neck which shows a bit too much cleavage. The dress fabric is pretty classy and neat, I think it's called brocade.

What could I wear underneath it so it looks a bit more modest? (impossible to pin it together). Would a black lace cami work ok? I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.bitsoflace.com/hanky-panky-signature-lace-camisole-w-lining-13902.html

Or would the square neckline kill the V neck effect? Should I go with a lace V neck cami even if I know this will be visible? I really want to avoid the slutty look.

Thanks a million!!

Why dont you just show your cleavage? As a large breasted woman I have no choice but to show mine in anything other than a polo neck, and I have never felt "slutty" as a result. So long as you wear good structured underwear and and are not hanging out at risk of showing nipple in an unsightly manner, whats the problem?

I really think wearing something underneath a deep v neck is going to look "wrong". A dress designed to show deep cleavage is just that, designed to show deep cleavage, not to have square neck cut offs of different fabric showing underneath. I just think you will end up looking like you wore the wrong underwear. Maybe you could wear a large statement necklace to cover some of the depth?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why dont you just show your cleavage?

If it's really low, I wouldn't for a work party at all

A very thick low statement necklace could work depending on the dress and OP... but so could a cami like she linked imo. Again depending on dress

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Could you use body tape to close up the deep V a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

bluewolf wrote: »
    If it's really low, I wouldn't for a work party at all

In truth I'd rather wear something already designed to be modest for the work party than try to make an existing deep v neck modest, because it's quite likely it'll just look like the wrong underwear worn under something (like a standard bra under a halterneck dress). Very tacky IMO.

Advertisement