Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is homophobia a problem in Dublin?

Options
  • 15-12-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

When I got off a Luas outside my home, I got some mud lobbed at me by this gang of kids in shell suits who called me a "Fa**ot Pu*ssy" tried to steal my iphone then ran off.

Being outside my home I was kinda upset but this is the first time something has happened to me, is this common in Dublin ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

When I got off a Luas outside my home, I got some mud lobbed at me by this gang of kids in shell suits who called me a "Fa**ot Pu*ssy" tried to steal my iphone then ran off.

Being outside my home I was kinda upset but this is the first time something has happened to me, is this common in Dublin ?

First of all, sorry to hear this happened to you. I hope you're ok.

Generally I wouldn't say homophobia is a problem in Dublin but you do need to keep your wits about you. I used to get no reactions when holding my boyfriends hand around College Green, Trinity etc but was called a ****ing queer while waiting for a bus on the quays and that was the only reaction in about 3 years.

How old were these kids? Chances are they might have been saying gay as they could be at that immature age where it just means something negative to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

First of all, sorry to hear this happened to you. I hope you're ok.

Generally I wouldn't say homophobia is a problem in Dublin but you do need to keep your wits about you. I used to get no reactions when holding my boyfriends hand around College Green, Trinity etc but was called a ****ing queer while waiting for a bus on the quays and that was the only reaction in about 3 years.

How old were these kids? Chances are they might have been saying gay as they could be at that immature age where it just means something negative to them.

Well about 16-18

I go to TCD and never had a problem there, but IFSC (other side of the Liffy) where I live I got some hate

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Well about 16-18

I go to TCD and never had a problem there, but IFSC (other side of the Liffy) where I live I got some hate

The IFSC is sandwiched between the river and some of the historically roughest streets of central Dublin. All in all it's degrees safer and more pleasant than it was 20 years ago, but still some of the most disenfranchised youth of the country are only around the corner and **** like this in nearly inevitable. It probably doesn't even matter you're gay.

MicraBoy wrote: »
    The IFSC is sandwiched between the river and some of the historically roughest streets of central Dublin. All in all it's degrees safer and more pleasant than it was 20 years ago, but still some of the most disenfranchised youth of the country are only around the corner and **** like this in nearly inevitable. It probably doesn't even matter you're gay.

You mean Talbot St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I'm so sorry to hear that you were upset. :(

I don't know if it's just me, but I quite enjoy being a contrarian. Before coming over to the dark side, I used to kiss a friend of mine whenever he was hassled for being gay. Obv, the fact that I turned out to be a fag removes some of the admirability - maybe I was just being subconsciously opportunistic!

If you are comfortable in your sexuality, and if you believe hatred is born of ignorance, do as I do, which is to adopt a demeanor of amusement and affability, which almost always diffuses the situation. If that doesn't work, try Stephen Fry's tactic - "Oh, don't touch me - I might get an erection".

Regarding your question: personally, possibly cause I'm not effeminate, I've never experienced any homophobia related incidents; my English accent, on the other hand, has brought about numerous snide comments.

Cheer up! I don't know if it's the gay in me, but I really wanna give you a huugggggg! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You mean Talbot St?

I presume he means Sheriff street.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think he means Sheriff street.

Of which 90% has been completely demolished. Only Sheriff Street Lower is even close to what it used to be.

I work on Mayor Street Upper, formerly one of the dodgiest places in the entire city. All the old flats are gone. There's less than ten houses left. Sheriff Street Upper is behind us, its also completely depopulated of the original population.

The area really isn't a risk at all anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

MYOB wrote: »
    Of which 90% has been completely demolished. Only Sheriff Street Lower is even close to what it used to be.

I work on Mayor Street Upper, formerly one of the dodgiest places in the entire city. All the old flats are gone. There's less than ten houses left. Sheriff Street Upper is behind us, its also completely depopulated of the original population.

The area really isn't a risk at all anymore.

Sheriff St has changed a lot yes, Seville Place and it's myriad of adjoining streets no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Of course you will only find homophobia in certain working class areas on the North Side of Dublin you wont find it anywhere else and we are doing our best to depopulate those areas of their original populations so we can all relax. Hope this thread isnt implying any of that

If the question is whether there is homophobia in Dublin or not I dont think the only measure of this is how you are treated by local youths. Not saying this isnt bad or upsetting or that you shouldnt be entitled to walk wherever you like but there are other forms of homophobia that may not be as direct but can be as or even more hurtful. Parents who throw their children out of their own homes or who tell them they dont love them because they are gay. Students who bully or harass other students and teachers who turn a blind eye and pretend they didnt hear anything. Employers who dont promote a gay employee. Friends who sideline you ......
    you get the drift the list could go on, its not like everybody will experience all or any of this but it is across the board in all classes and in all cities.

If you are asking a question about which areas of any city, including Dublin, you would be most likely to experience homophobic harassment on the street that is a different question. Maybe that is what you are asking, is it ewan whos army. Wasnt there a thread on here recently by someone who was shouted at outside the front lounge or the george and was surprised by that too. I suppose Im surprised your surprised at homophobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Ambersky wrote: »
    Of course you will only find homophobia in certain working class areas on the North Side of Dublin you wont find it anywhere else and we are doing our best to depopulate those areas of their original populations so we can all relax. Hope this thread isnt implying any of that

If the question is whether there is homophobia in Dublin or not I dont think the only measure of this is how you are treated by local youths. Not saying this isnt bad or upsetting or that you shouldnt be entitled to walk wherever you like but there are other forms of homophobia that may not be as direct but can be as or even more hurtful. Parents who throw their children out of their own homes or who tell them they dont love them because they are gay. Students who bully or harass other students and teachers who turn a blind eye and pretend they didnt hear anything. Employers who dont promote a gay employee. Friends who sideline you ......
    you get the drift the list could go on, its not like everybody will experience all or any of this but it is across the board in all classes and in all cities.

If you are asking a question about which areas of any city, including Dublin, you would be most likely to experience homophobic harassment on the street that is a different question. Maybe that is what you are asking, is it ewan whos army. Wasnt there a thread on here recently by someone who was shouted at outside the front lounge or the george and was surprised by that too. I suppose Im surprised your surprised at homophobia.

Yea, Ewan - shut the **** up! ; )

• Advertisement

Ah now! qweerty I hope thats your usual messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's been a while since I've seen any violent homophobic attacks in the media. There was that case in the country but there seem to be less and less.

I got a fair bit of abuse in the streets from a lad I used to go to school for years after we left school but I think it's just personal to him. To be honest the ardour with which he carried out the abuse and the sustained nature of the incidents probably eventually caused some raised eyebrows from his group of friends as nobody else bothered with me. He was genuinely afraid of me, if he wasn't with his friends and saw me he would walk faster, move far away on the pavement while avoiding eye contact or cross the road , (just to be clear I never approached him, touched him or spoke to him). This guy was a classic case he was obviously suppressing his own feelings. Once I understood that it was easier to walk away with my head held high.

qweerty wrote: »
    Yea, Ewan - shut the **** up! ; )

wait-what-meme-rage-face.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks can everyone calm down a little and keep it civil

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Wait......
    What?

Sorry I thought we were joking didn't mean any disrespect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

http://www.thejournal.ie/ive-had-enough-dublin-victim-speaks-out-after-homophobic-assault-868105-Apr2013/

Yeah its still there to some extent getting better but it is difficult to gage because you are not wearing your 'I am gay ' sign and ringing your bell. People do not hold hands or kiss 24 /7 it is a small part of you day.

At the moment i think homophobia is limited to 'I have nothing against gays but...i don't want them to get married/adopt/ be gay in my face' etc.

But I hear comments all the time...people think I am a straight girl I don't know how many people are actually going to go up to a person and be offensive.

It is difficult to find out people's attitude I think some people are still uncomfortable when they see gay people being affectionate still but have nothing against it ideologically.

Yes it still is a problem but it is getting better.

Advertisement