Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter O'Toole RIP

Options
  • 15-12-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/dec/15/peter-o-toole-dies-lawrence-arabia

The actor Peter O'Toole, who found stardom in David Lean's masterpiece Lawrence of Arabia, has died aged 81, his agent has said.
    The acclaimed leading man who overcame stomach cancer in the 1970s passed away on Saturday at the Wellington hospital in London following a long illness, Steve Kenis said.

One of our finest ever actors and a disgrace he never won an Oscar.

Peter-OToole-010.jpg

Comments

He Certainly was.. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Some character, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

He was a brilliant actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

From Lawrence of Arabia, one of the most unforgettable lines from any movie.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A legend who, along with Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Oliver Reed, raised more hell than anyone.

A truly gifted actor and a real wit.

"The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise".

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only a few of that 60s generation left now :( The best bunch of screen icons ever in my view.

Once established he made a lot of crap, like everyone in that era but some sterling performances and great stories in "real life".

Night of the Generals, Murphy's War, The Stunt Man and his brilliant turn as an Errol Flynn type actor in My Favourite Year are among his best performances beyond the Lawrence of Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RIP

The last of the Hellraisers. I don't think their like will ever been seen again.

articleLarge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

mike65 wrote: »
    Once established he made a lot of crap, like everyone in that era but some sterling performances and great stories in "real life".

Night of the Generals, Murphy's War, The Stunt Man and his brilliant turn as an Errol Flynn type actor in My Favourite Year are among his best performances beyond the Lawrence of Arabia.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that, those were all excellent movies (but yes, there were quite a few turkeys too!). Very sad to read of his passing.
    Oddly enough I actually watched Lawrence again only a few days ago and was struck by what a powerful actor he really could be.

On a more farcical level, I've always loved this blackly comic masterpiece:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

RIP

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Wouldn't disagree with any of that, those were all excellent movies (but yes, there were quite a few turkeys too!). Very sad to read of his passing.
    Oddly enough I actually watched Lawrence again only a few days ago and was struck by what a powerful actor he really could be.

On a more farcical level, I've always loved this blackly comic masterpiece:)

Never seen The Ruling Class, had the chance but not bothered for some reason. Hopefully we'll get a few films between now and New Year including that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

RIP

The last of the Hellraisers. I don't think their like will ever been seen again.

articleLarge.jpg

Isn't yer man on the right still alive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 judge_dredd

bit too much of a " luvvie " for me but he seemed like a good charechter

D1stant wrote: »
    Isn't yer man on the right still alive?

Ollie Reed bought the distillery years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/dec/15/peter-o-toole-dies-lawrence-arabia

The actor Peter O'Toole, who found stardom in David Lean's masterpiece Lawrence of Arabia, has died aged 81, his agent has said.
    The acclaimed leading man who overcame stomach cancer in the 1970s passed away on Saturday at the Wellington hospital in London following a long illness, Steve Kenis said.

Peter-OToole-010.jpg

RIP.

He was gonna receive an honarary Oscar a while ago, but said he'd rather won the 'bugger outright' afaik he was nominated 7 times?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

RIP.

While his CV might contain some oddities, when he raised his game he was one of the best. Definitely the last of the hell-raisers and while the legends of their debauchery hardly make them role-models, it's a far cry from the at-times obnoxious piousness of today's stars. Hollywood is lesser today with the loss of messers like O'Toole, Harris et al :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Ah yes. I thought it was Ian McShane

pixelburp wrote: »
    Definitely the last of the hell-raisers and while the legends of their debauchery hardly make them role-models, it's a far cry from the at-times obnoxious piousness of today's stars. Hollywood is lesser today with the loss of messers like O'Toole, Harris et al :)

So true he and the rest of the hellraisers were far from role models yet they are far better role models than most of the stars today.

They were rackentours and entertainers of the highest order.

RIP.

He was gonna receive an honarary Oscar a while ago, but said he'd rather won the 'bugger outright' afaik he was nominated 7 times?

Holding a record number of Academy Award nominations without taking a single statuette home, his eight near misses are only a part of his legend. As he said when he collected the rather conciliatory Honorary Academy Award in 2003, “Always the bridesmaid, never the bride my foot”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

while filming Gladiator if memory serves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

hmmm .... perhaps we should refrain from 'abusing' any kids for tonight eh? I'm sure you meant we should insult them instead!!! ;)

Advertisement