Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating myself with work bonus....... what to buy?

Options
  • 15-12-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭

Hi gents!

I just got word that i'll be getting promoted in the New Year and receiving a pretty sweet bonus!

I've put the head down and worked really hard over the last couple of years. Not only this but i've made major improvements in my life in general and made massive strides in places I never thought I could.

Everyone tells me I need to treat myself with this bonus and that sounds great.

Only problem is, I have no idea what I should do!

I couldn't even give the missus many tips for Christmas for me as i'm pretty hard to buy for.

What say ye gents? What shall I spoil myself with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/dax-cobra-427-replica-1979/5954162

Its the only sane thing to do at a time like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

write down a number you'd be happy spending, head to amazon and ebay and just let the spirit of capitalist excess flow through you

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

Get a massage, a proper decent one. You will not regret it.

What are your interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mainly into music, but I have a guitar. BJJ but I have a new GI, gum-sheild etc. MMA but I just bought new MMA & Boxing GLoves and my missus just bought me new Shin-Pads. I tend to buy stuff I need anyway so it makes me pretty hard to buy for. Even when i'm buting for myself.

A massage is going on the list though anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tickets for next MMA event in Ireland (ringside of course).

I would buy books or a remote control helicopter, always wanted one of those.

How bout Man U tickets? Every gentlemans dream:P

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Tickets for next MMA event in Ireland (ringside of course).

I would buy books or a remote control helicopter, always wanted one of those.

How bout Man U tickets? Every gentlemans dream:P

That's the thing. I go to the MMA events and already have tickets to the NYE show (a team mate is fighting on the card).

Plus I managed to convince the missus to go to London with me when the UFC is on there.

But yeah, I might actually see if I can book a trip somewhere to watch a football game. Maybe Dortmund, i've always wanted to experience a home Dortmund game! Or the San Siro!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We went to see Barcelona v Real Betis last year and was well worth the trip.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We went to see Barcelona v Real Betis last year and was well worth the trip.

Yeah, got to see Barcelona in the Nou Camp a couple of months back. Ticked off the Bucket List!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Arcade machine. That's what I'd do anyway if I was told "blow this money" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Mainly into music, but I have a guitar. BJJ but I have a new GI, gum-sheild etc. MMA but I just bought new MMA & Boxing GLoves and my missus just bought me new Shin-Pads. I tend to buy stuff I need anyway so it makes me pretty hard to buy for. Even when i'm buting for myself.

A massage is going on the list though anyway!

Take the day off for yourself. Let the beard grow for a week and get the hot towel shave, a proper massage (or improper if you wish!) a good meal out without worrying about the cost and an afternoon in a hotel room with herself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Danny Mulcahy

Go nut spoiling the missus. You should get it back with some interest to help you unwind after a day at work!!! Or at least give you some piece!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Have you got room for a ludicrously large LCD TV maybe ? Or perhaps some gadgetry like an Ipad. The most bang for buck I tend to get myself is going on a trip somewhere Interesting, if its a big bonus try for somewhere really exotic ! Problem is its not great on the instant gratification, would probably be a few months before you could go !

imitation wrote: »
    Have you got room for a ludicrously large LCD TV maybe ? Or perhaps some gadgetry like an Ipad. The most bang for buck I tend to get myself is going on a trip somewhere Interesting, if its a big bonus try for somewhere really exotic ! Problem is its not great on the instant gratification, would probably be a few months before you could go !

I was considering this actually! I don't really watch TV but maybe if I had a ludicrously large one i'd watch more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, got to see Barcelona in the Nou Camp a couple of months back. Ticked off the Bucket List!

Look at the Champions League final. Tickets are on sale in few months.

Regardless of who is in it, it is the biggest club match of the year.

Go for one of the really good seats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Why dont you buy a big dildo and shove it up your ass..........................................since your so in love with yourself with your self absorbed ramblings there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

A proper watch. Omega, Breitling, Rolex etc. Men don't have much jewellery so you might as well make it a good un.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'm in the same boat and my plan is a little humidor, some nice cigars and a bottle or two of some top class whiskey.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I tend to treat myself to a fountain pen, can track significant career moments through my collection at this stage :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Actually, given I'm female, I put a bit of thought into what I'd do for the OH in this situation.

It would be over a day or two, but would start and finish as follows:

1. Breakfast out somewhere nice (I'm in Swords so it would be Gourmet Food Parlour)
    2. Into Dublin City Centre for shopping, given the timing of the bonus (January Sales) it would be into Louis Copeland for a suit
    3. Cowboy boot shopping
    4. Into GMale or the likes for the hot shave, massage and manicure
    5. Shopping for random thing always wanted but never important enough to justify
    6. Nice dinner out in the likes of Dobbins

Basically a day of doing stuff we'd never normally do, with lifelong memories in the form of the day, and what we bought :)

Were it him doing it for me, he'd be fecked! I'm like you OP :)

Why dont you buy a big dildo and shove it up your ass..........................................since your so in love with yourself with your self absorbed ramblings there

Got one of those already. Might get one which glows red on the top and call it Rudolph though considering it's Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ski trip? Snow looks fantastic in Andorra already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Book a cruise

You wont regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Im definitely agreeing with the massage suggestion... nothing like it for sending me off to sleep!

If you were stretching as far as a trip somewhere id recommend one of...
    1. Mexico for a relaxing sunny break, amazing all inclusive resorts, lounging on a perfect beach having cocktails delivered to your hand
    2. Vegas for excitement
    3. New york for shopping - cliche I know but still a great city.

You could also blend the above.... did a Mexico / vegas combo a few years back & it was unreal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Give me ball park and I'll spend it for you in seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

DB83 wrote: »
    Im definitely agreeing with the massage suggestion... nothing like it for sending me off to sleep!

If you were stretching as far as a trip somewhere id recommend one of...
    1. Mexico for a relaxing sunny break, amazing all inclusive resorts, lounging on a perfect beach having cocktails delivered to your hand
    2. Vegas for excitement
    3. New york for shopping - cliche I know but still a great city.

You could also blend the above.... did a Mexico / vegas combo a few years back & it was unreal!!

Going to New York and just shopping would be such a waste.

You could spend a few days touring the East Coast, from Boston all the way to Philadelphia and Washington. You have some of the most famous landmarks and places in the world in those four cities alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

snowbombing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm in the same boat as well and have been thinking about what to get too...

- I'm into tech stuff (work in IT) so thinking of upgrading the laptop with an SSD. Considered a new one but doubt I'll replace it outright.. still, who knows depending on what I can get one from my DELL a/c manager for

- Want to get the windows tinted on the car and need to buy a 5th alloy for it as it has a 16" spare, but the rest are 18". Maybe a remap too

- Thinking about a big ass TV as well :p Have a 42" LG that I got on adverts about 18 months ago but I do like the look of those 46" ultra-slim LED smart TVs

- Want to put some away as well for emergencies

Still need to negotiate the payrise for this year. That's on the agenda for this month too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I spend some of my bonus on the dell venue 8 pro, 8" tablet, 10 hour battery life, full Windows 8.1, won't burn the hand off you and is only slightly heavier than the android competition (and is 300 eur, or 360 for the 64gb version

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

imitation wrote: »
    I spend some of my bonus on the dell venue 8 pro, 8" tablet, 10 hour battery life, full Windows 8.1, won't burn the hand off you and is only slightly heavier than the android competition (and is 300 eur, or 360 for the 64gb version

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd

Have the 32GB version and agree, it's a fantastic tablet for the money :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement