Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 cards better than one?

Options
  • 15-12-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Hi I've been considering 2 of these cards: HIS HD 6870 IceQ X Turbo GDDR5 1024MB. I already have one. I can get the other for approximately €90 or I could sell my card and buy one card that would out perform two for the price of €180?

What do you think? When is it worth having 2 cards?#

I see this card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 OC, 2GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort for €154.

My card scores: 2,569 (2 of my cards would hardly score 5,138)
    The Radeon R9 270 scores: 4,344

But I can guess that there are some overheads to having two of my cards, are there advantages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You would be better off upgrading to a single stronger gpu I think. Dual cards should only be used when you can't get anymore power from a single card. You only really need that for 1440p and even then a 780 gtx or 290x would do fine for that on it's own.

You also have to consider whether or not your power supply can handle 2 cards and if your board supports proper crossfire/sli in 8/8 mode.

Then you have the possibility that newer titles don't have their crossfire profiles meaning you can only run on 1 card until they update them and the odd game that flat out refuses to work properly in crossfire.

I'd say go for a 270, preferably one with a good cooler and overclock it. You might get a good deal on a 280x if you want more power.

Advertisement