Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buckingham Street Fire Station

Options
  • 15-12-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to a girl in work yesterday who is studying art with DIT. She was recently using studio space in Buckingham Street Fire Station. I was telling her that my Mother's aunt used to live in that building. I have memories of going to visit her when I was a kid. She lived upstairs and I am sure there were other people living there too. It was still a working Fire Station at that stage. It got me thinking - how did she end up living in a room in a Fire station ? Who owned the building and who was she renting from ? I know she moved out to a flat for the elderly probably in the late 1970s but she had lived in Buckingham St for years. Anyone know anything about the building or the people who lived and worked there ?

Edit : Mods, not sure if this would be better in the Dublin forum, I'll leave it up to you. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Just for anyone that might be interested I got information from posters on thedublinforums.com.
    The Fire station was built in 1900 and was owned by Dublin Corporation.
    A bit about the architect and cost of the station.
    http://www.dia.ie/architects/view/37...#tab_biography

Following the collapse of Dublin tenements in 1963 Dublin Corporation moved people into fire stations and other buildings around the city.

It is noted in a history of the Dublin Fire Brigade that Dublin’s fire service “were forced by a panicking Corporation to allow tenants into the former married quarters in both Dorset Street and Buckingham Street fire stations.”

All of this compliments of the members on dublinforums.com
    attachment.php?attachmentid=25368&stc=1&d=1387199157

Advertisement