Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux, Win8 and Lenovo problems

Options
  • 14-12-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Lenovo G580 4Gb ram, 1TB HD, i3 intel CPU laptop I bought at the beginning of the year. I need to get either Ubuntu, Mint or Elementary onto it. I don't mind if its dual boot but I'd love to just get rid of Windows.

Now here's the problem(s). God, so many problems. So I've been at this for a couple of weeks. Issues with UEFI, issues with Lenovo seemingly disabling access to the BIOS (seriously) for this model and therefore inability to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot, windows 8/UEFI not supporting wubi or any easy-go-lucky boot installation software.

I'm at the end of the line right now and considering just selling the blasted thing before christmas and picking up a linux-preinstalled laptop online... but I'm hesitating because its (A) a last resort, or so I thought, and (B) I don't want to fail at the seemingly simple task of installing Linux...

ANY HELP AT ALL would be amazing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

I fixed it!

That was certainly on the right course John!

So...

I had to flash update my BIOS in order to access it
    Had to enable Legacy mode but leave UEFI as FIRST
    Changed boot order to boot NOT my CD first but my CD RAM first (no idea why this worked)
    Booted into a Windows 7 installation CD
    I then couldn't install to any partition as they were a different partition type so... had to DELETE every partition. All of them.
    I then made a new partition and it installed!

The problems I had are extremely common but not at all well described on forums or any other sources. Maybe if someone searches keywords they'll be redirected to this thread.

Thanks for the help John

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Glad you figured it out ;)

Advertisement