Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping a subject whilst taking on another.

Options
  • 14-12-2013 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey all,

I was just wondering if it's at all possible to drop a subject? I'm currently studying History and am coming up to my 5th year Christmas exams, though I'm finding it extremely difficult. There's so much to take on-board and frankly I don't think I'm able for it all. I achieved a B in the Junior Cert, though LC History is a lot different. It requires a lot of essays and I'm not the best at English, achieving a D. I got a C in a class based test and I don't think I could improve at it very much.

I was considering dropping it and studying Economics myself when History is usually on, and whilst at home. My school doesn't give students the opportunity to study Economics as a subject so I'd need to do it myself, though grinds would be possible too. I have around 3 hours per week in which I could study Economics inside school and can add to that at home. I found it pretty easy in the Junior Cert and understood it. I also have an interest in it in the real world too so I find it pretty interesting.

Sorry if I rambled a bit (I probably did) but I've never thought of dropping a subject before and would like to know if anyone else has and what is the process in doing so? Based on the feedback I'll probably go to the appropriate teacher etc and so on. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

It depends on what your school's policy is. If you're a good student who isn't disruptive in class they may allow you to do that. You should really aim to have spoken to the principal before Christmas holidays though as it's getting quite late now.

Personally, I kind of wish I'd taken up Economics and dropped Chemistry last year but I'm in LC so now so obviously too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hey all,

I was just wondering if it's at all possible to drop a subject? I'm currently studying History and am coming up to my 5th year Christmas exams, though I'm finding it extremely difficult. There's so much to take on-board and frankly I don't think I'm able for it all. I achieved a B in the Junior Cert, though LC History is a lot different. It requires a lot of essays and I'm not the best at English, achieving a D. I got a C in a class based test and I don't think I could improve at it very much.

I was considering dropping it and studying Economics myself when History is usually on, and whilst at home. My school doesn't give students the opportunity to study Economics as a subject so I'd need to do it myself, though grinds would be possible too. I have around 3 hours per week in which I could study Economics inside school and can add to that at home. I found it pretty easy in the Junior Cert and understood it. I also have an interest in it in the real world too so I find it pretty interesting.

Sorry if I rambled a bit (I probably did) but I've never thought of dropping a subject before and would like to know if anyone else has and what is the process in doing so? Based on the feedback I'll probably go to the appropriate teacher etc and so on. Thanks!

I definitely think you should take up economics. Very do-able in one year, you have one and a half.
    Also, what else is on when you have history? I remember a good few people switched after the Christmas tests in 5th year. As long as you work hard at it, there's no reason why you couldn't do well in another subject. Because you're only in 5th year you still have loads of time.
    As the above poster said a lot of schools would take a dim view of what you're proposing to do unfortunately. I know a lot of students have struggles with dropping a subject in 6th year and sitting down the back doing their own work. If they allow you to do it, then a few others might get ideas and what started as a trickle could turn into a stream, not just in your history class but across the whole year.

Either way there's no reason why you can't take up economics by yourself outside of school. I would recommend you buy the textbook 'positive economics' by edco. It's the best textbook out there and has pretty much everything you need.

If you're looking for other subjects to take up, business, ag science and biology are also do-able by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Thank you both for replying.
    thelad95 wrote: »
    I definitely think you should take up economics. Very do-able in one year, you have one and a half.
    Also, what else is on when you have history? I remember a good few people switched after the Christmas tests in 5th year. As long as you work hard at it, there's no reason why you couldn't do well in another subject. Because you're only in 5th year you still have loads of time.
    As the above poster said a lot of schools would take a dim view of what you're proposing to do unfortunately. I know a lot of students have struggles with dropping a subject in 6th year and sitting down the back doing their own work. If they allow you to do it, then a few others might get ideas and what started as a trickle could turn into a stream, not just in your history class but across the whole year.

Either way there's no reason why you can't take up economics by yourself outside of school. I would recommend you buy the textbook 'positive economics' by edco. It's the best textbook out there and has pretty much everything you need.

If you're looking for other subjects to take up, business, ag science and biology are also do-able by yourself.

The problem is that when I have history the subjects that are on are French and practical subjects. I don't have any interest in these. I may pick up the economics book during the holidays and get started. Based on my results of my history exam I'll see about going to my year-head to possibly drop it.

I had a look at the Biology book the other day actually and it's quite a lot, I also don't really have an interest in it (I'm more of the maths type) so I'd find it hard to sit down and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Thank you both for replying.

The problem is that when I have history the subjects that are on are French and practical subjects. I don't have any interest in these. I may pick up the economics book during the holidays and get started. Based on my results of my history exam I'll see about going to my year-head to possibly drop it.

I had a look at the Biology book the other day actually and it's quite a lot, I also don't really have an interest in it (I'm more of the maths type) so I'd find it hard to sit down and learn.

I wouldn't rule out biology just from looking at the textbook there is a lot of excess info in biology textbooks in general. When you condense it all down it is a lot easier to learn and if you're willing to spend money on grinds you could do very well in it. Either way, take your time. There's no rush, you're still only in 5th year. See how you do in your history Christmas test and weigh up your options over the holidays.

Advertisement