Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home prepping

Options
  • 14-12-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hav been prepping now for the past year at home, just wondering what are the best prepps ye have done.

Also wat prepps are ye doing now??

Happy prepping

Dazza161989

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I know your trying to get a thread going but if you don't tell us something about what you are doing you might not get much response.

For a start you don't even bother to tell us what sort of location you are in, if you are at the top of a block of flats in the middle of a town then what you need to do for preparation and what you can do to prepare are likely to be very different to someone that lives on a hill top on a farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I know your trying to get a thread going but if you don't tell us something about what you are doing you might not get much response.

For a start you don't even bother to tell us what sort of location you are in, if you are at the top of a block of flats in the middle of a town then what you need to do for preparation and what you can do to prepare are likely to be very different to someone that lives on a hill top on a farm.

hi sorry, i live in the country, detatched four bed on 1/2 acre with another quater acre site next door full of trees for solid fuel.

Have food supplies, water stored, lamps batteries phones fuel etc stored in a sealed off section i made in attic.

For security have alarm system, security lighting, cctv, 5 trained guard dogs, firearms, weaponry, archery bow and sum other surprises.

Have a wood burning stove in house and am in process of installing solid fuel range in my garage.

On land i have fruit trees and vegetables planted.

my expertise area is fishing, i live ten minute cycle from beach for sea angling, and am 15 minutes from game fish river where i fly fish for trout and salmon with self tied flys. I also am able to shoot varmin pheasants etc and i can also trap/snare.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I used to do a lot of fly fishing, wet and dry flies, boron rod and all that.
    Fishing to survive rather than for fun, I want a net! ;)

I always wondered why those mini survival kit fishing sets had hooks and sinkers. A couple of large trebles and a white sticker would be more use if you are actually in danger of starving to death.

The prepping I'm doing at the moment is moving my rifles from my Dad's house (since he's died, I used to keep the guns there away from the kids) to my own. The gun locker at home was quite large as the auld lad was a gun dealer when I was young. I've bought a decent safe and rawl bolts and thunder bolts to fix it to the wall. Probably going to use Tec7 or similar to chemically anchor it as well. I want to upgrade my internal doors with dead bolts and those pins that attach on the hinge side to make the doors much harder to kick in. Working on getting a steel fire door for our bedroom to make a type of safe room.

The biggest weak points are the windows, so I may need to invest on security film, at least at the rear for now. Motion sensor halogens and dogs for early warning are already in place. They won't do any more than bark, but it's better than not knowing someone is sneaking around our back garden (has happened once during a spate of dog robberies).

I would love to try sinking a pump in the back garden for water, this area was known for having springs at one time before it got built up. Something like a new version of the old hand pumps would be good.

I used to do a lot of fly fishing, wet and dry flies, boron rod and all that.
    Fishing to survive rather than for fun, I want a net! ;)

I always wondered why those mini survival kit fishing sets had hooks and sinkers. A couple of large trebles and a white sticker would be more use if you are actually in danger of starving to death.

The prepping I'm doing at the moment is moving my rifles from my Dad's house (since he's died, I used to keep the guns there away from the kids) to my own. The gun locker at home was quite large as the auld lad was a gun dealer when I was young. I've bought a decent safe and rawl bolts and thunder bolts to fix it to the wall. Probably going to use Tec7 or similar to chemically anchor it as well. I want to upgrade my internal doors with dead bolts and those pins that attach on the hinge side to make the doors much harder to kick in. Working on getting a steel fire door for our bedroom to make a type of safe room.

The biggest weak points are the windows, so I may need to invest on security film, at least at the rear for now. Motion sensor halogens and dogs for early warning are already in place. They won't do any more than bark, but it's better than not knowing someone is sneaking around our back garden (has happened once during a spate of dog robberies).

I would love to try sinking a pump in the back garden for water, this area was known for having springs at one time before it got built up. Something like a new version of the old hand pumps would be good.

ya i would probably catch more with a net but woulnt fancy having to lug it around...... My fly rod breaks into 1 & 1/2 foot sections in a tube so very easy t transport plus my local river is teeming with small trout so cant imagine starving, its just me and my partner t feed if we evr bugged out. I hav never blanked on that river in 5 years so would b fairly confident but if dat failed dats wat my firearms are for :-)

Your idea of a fire door for your room for a safe room is a gud idea........i have converted our attic t our safe room. Full of supplies, warm from insulation, plus the intruder can only enter one way so hard to b ambushed. no one wud evr suspect u t b in ur attic .

D pump would b worth it weight in gold if you could get it up and running.

bump

• Advertisement

I've posted all this stuff before but we keep a small rubber dinghy for sea fishing, plus a few fish in the river by us. Heating is only from wood burning, cooker is multifuel and heats water with no electicity (old direct system). Water, I mentioned the river, we have a massive reservoir in the water main itself as we are the last house at the bottom a hill, long time since the water went off but when it did we didn't even notice, I can store up to 400l of rain water and have hand and petrol pumps for the river. Enough in store for 2 weeks in comfort and a lot more with a bit of rationing. Bug out bags packed and both cars have essential supplies. Plenty of areas to improve on but have the basics covered. Planning on bugging in with all essential services off.

I've posted all this stuff before but we keep a small rubber dinghy for sea fishing, plus a few fish in the river by us. Heating is only from wood burning, cooker is multifuel and heats water with no electicity (old direct system). Water, I mentioned the river, we have a massive reservoir in the water main itself as we are the last house at the bottom a hill, long time since the water went off but when it did we didn't even notice, I can store up to 400l of rain water and have hand and petrol pumps for the river. Enough in store for 2 weeks in comfort and a lot more with a bit of rationing. Bug out bags packed and both cars have essential supplies. Plenty of areas to improve on but have the basics covered. Planning on bugging in with all essential services off.

the glass key thanks for the response, some brilliant ideas there for me to think about, planning on bugging in also if possible!!

the glass key thanks for the response, some brilliant ideas there for me to think about, planning on bugging in also if possible!!

Why exactly are you putting a solid fuel range in the garage? I take range to mean "cooker" but it also sounds as if you might mean your putting your solid fuel heating boiler in the garage?

Why exactly are you putting a solid fuel range in the garage? I take range to mean "cooker" but it also sounds as if you might mean your putting your solid fuel heating boiler in the garage?

i got an old stanley 90 range for nothing, the back boiler is fecked in it so i welded in plate t seal it off. As i hav a gas one in my house to cook on it would be handy if gas was unattainable to have a backup way of cooking. Cheap way to keep my dogs warm in this poor weather also!=)

We have the same range as our main cooker, only its a new one and they don't call it the 90 anymore. You can get the back boilers for those stoves and if you want you can get the the proper fire bricks to replace the boiler. We have he small 2.6kw (iirc) back boiler which is a really easy plumbing job to do a direct connection to a cylinder for hot water if you put the cylinder near the stove.

• Advertisement

We have the same range as our main cooker, only its a new one and they don't call it the 90 anymore. You can get the back boilers for those stoves and if you want you can get the the proper fire bricks to replace the boiler. We have he small 2.6kw (iirc) back boiler which is a really easy plumbing job to do a direct connection to a cylinder for hot water if you put the cylinder near the stove.

ya its an option, at current i have a wood burning stove in my sitting room providing the hot water.

ya its an option, at current i have a wood burning stove in my sitting room providing the hot water.

Its not an essential and you can only use the hot water in the garage unless like me you add an extra tap to a bath so there are two hot taps.

Just checked and the Super 90 is different to ours in a few details but spares are still available and a good second hand one isn't that expensive if you can move it. I think the Comeragh is essentially the same stove if you are ever looking for spares.

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/media/217218/spare%20parts%20current%20products%20(4).pdf pages 19 and 20. 22 and 23

Its not an essential and you can only use the hot water in the garage unless like me you add an extra tap to a bath so there are two hot taps.

Just checked and the Super 90 is different to ours in a few details but spares are still available and a good second hand one isn't that expensive if you can move it. I think the Comeragh is essentially the same stove if you are ever looking for spares.

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/media/217218/spare%20parts%20current%20products%20(4).pdf pages 19 and 20. 22 and 23

thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Hi all

Ive a concern that perhaps somone here could help me out with: I started some small efforts at preping last year. Ive a small quantity of tinned food (pinapples, corned beef,tinnned ham and other tinned fruit) in big plastic storage boxes in my attic. During the hot summer this year I began to wonder if this food would be OK stored in that heat. Has anyone any opinion on whether storing tinned food in the attic is OK? Also, would storing tinned food in the attic attract our little four legged friends?
    Thanks a million

torrentum wrote: »
    Hi all

Ive a concern that perhaps somone here could help me out with: I started some small efforts at preping last year. Ive a small quantity of tinned food (pinapples, corned beef,tinnned ham and other tinned fruit) in big plastic storage boxes in my attic. During the hot summer this year I began to wonder if this food would be OK stored in that heat. Has anyone any opinion on whether storing tinned food in the attic is OK? Also, would storing tinned food in the attic attract our little four legged friends?
    Thanks a million

With those sort of storage conditions you shouldn't really be expecting anything to be OK past its best before date. With tinned stuff you'll know if its gone off, check the can and look for damage, check to see if its blown (ends or sides expanded) and finally smell it as you open the can. I find tinned pineapple can sometimes be tricky to keep as I've had a few tins that have leaked during storage. Another tip is check the tins have no dents when you buy them and if there is a big stock like in Aldi or Lidl check the best before dates on a few tins in the stack as you can sometimes gain a few months by picking tins near the bottom.

Bottom line your not storing the tins in optimal conditions so if you have anywhere cool and dry that would be better. I've heard of Polar Bears ripping open tins but afaik they shouldn't be a problem. Mice and rats will sometimes eat the labels which is annoying but I always mark the tins with a indelible marker pen with Best Before Date and a simple contents code like 06/14 BB. for baked beans.

Hi all

Thanks a million

i keep all my storage in the attic and so far the tinned food has faired ok. You should hav no problem with mice as these tins are vacuum sealed and therefore emit little to no scent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

The glass key/ Daza161989 thanks a million.

Just a thought OP, if you had to abandon the house in a hurry for any reason wouldn't having food supplies in the roof slow you down a bit? Given the space I'd split things 50/50 with say a secure roof space and an easily accessible location like the garage. I go even further (probably too far) by keeping a good bit of store food boxed up ready to throw in the car but there are some obvious reasons we might have to move in a hurry.

Just a thought OP, if you had to abandon the house in a hurry for any reason wouldn't having food supplies in the roof slow you down a bit? Given the space I'd split things 50/50 with say a secure roof space and an easily accessible location like the garage. I go even further (probably too far) by keeping a good bit of store food boxed up ready to throw in the car but there are some obvious reasons we might have to move in a hurry.

i have our bob's and storage ready to go also." Fail to prepare " and all that.

The glass key/ Daza161989 thanks a million.

no problem torrentum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement