Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dowth Fy Through

Options
  • 14-12-2013 12:51pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New laser scan animation of Dowth by Trent & Peak Archaeology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Extraordinary- I had no idea the layout was so complex

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Am I right in thinking that it makes it seem as if the two passages are linked?
    Really after going through the north passage (the souterian) they need to head back outside and into the other (more megalithic) passage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I think it could be made clear that anything that is drystone built is part of the later souterrain, it's only when they go up the small set of steps that you enter the passage and chamber of the original passage tomb. They are linked though, there's no other way of getting in to the north passage now, then they flew out through the roof and in to the south passage and chamber.
    I put a few pics of the guys working on this on the blog here: http://blog.shadowsandstone.com/2012/05/20/laser-scanning-the-great-tombs-of-the-boyne-valley/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Great blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    I think it could be made clear that anything that is drystone built is part of the later souterrain, it's only when they go up the small set of steps that you enter the passage and chamber of the original passage tomb. They are linked though, there's no other way of getting in to the north passage now, then they flew out through the roof and in to the south passage and chamber.
    I put a few pics of the guys working on this on the blog here: http://blog.shadowsandstone.com/2012/05/20/laser-scanning-the-great-tombs-of-the-boyne-valley/

Thanks Ken - I think I got distracted or something I actually didn't watch to the end. Sorry about that. I actually thought that the cruciform chamber that was attached to the drystone one was the southern passage (the only one I've been in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Love it Slowburner, passed it on to one of the Art teachers at work.....

Advertisement