Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in healthcare

Options
  • 13-12-2013 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Heya folks

I am from Serbia,having EU passport and 2 degrees-nurse and radiographer.

I am interested to move to Dublin for some time to work any kind of job,just to get new experience and also for some fun,maybe to save some money too. I am not picky about type of job,i saw minimum wages are about 9 euro and it raises depending on a job. Right now i am not sure how evaluation of degrees is going on and what time it would take thats why i am saying i would work even out of professions but on the other hand i am sure these degrees are enough to get accepted to work as care assistant,support worker or how do you people name medical workers who are providing care. While browsing the net i saw private agencies are paying such jobs 11 euro per hour but state institutions are habing much better payrates from 13 to 16 euro p/h but its pretty hard to get hired there. So maybe i should get recognised one of my 2 degrees if getting a job as a nurse or radiographer would be easier,maybe radiography assistant too.I am total noob

Anyway i accept every advice you could have for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Anyone?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Anyone?:D

My advice is to contact An Bord Altrnais and they should be able to advise as to whether or not you need any accreditation time etc and how to register. From what I hear they are not the most efficient body so get emailing and phoning ASAP.

Thank you,would be nice to hear more opinions over current HSE situation from some of the collegues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There's pretty much a recruitment ban in the HSE - the public health service. Occasionally they can hire nurses when the numbers get too low, but it's only now & again. Same with care staff. Also, their budget for hiring agency staff has reduced massively, so less jobs that way too.

You could try the private hospitals or voluntary hospitals but I don't know if it is much different. If you phone them, you might be able to have an informal conversation about employment prospects here. The Trade Unions may be more informative - it's the INMO for general nurses and PNA for psychiatric nurses, and probably Impact for radiographers and maybe SIPTU.

You could end up working as a care assistant in a private nursing home for the elderly, or mental handicap.

The Irish Nursing and Midwifery Board is the statutory body looking after registration for nurses, and they can tell you if your qualifications are easily transferred or whether you need to do some top-up training. There may well be a fee for this.

Same goes for the Irish Institute for Radiography.

There's pretty much a recruitment ban in the HSE - the public health service. Occasionally they can hire nurses when the numbers get too low, but it's only now & again. Same with care staff. Also, their budget for hiring agency staff has reduced massively, so less jobs that way too.

You could try the private hospitals or voluntary hospitals but I don't know if it is much different. If you phone them, you might be able to have an informal conversation about employment prospects here.

You could end up working as a care assistant in a private nursing home for the elderly, or mental handicap.

The Irish Nursing and Midwifery Board is the statutory body looking after registration for nurses, and they can tell you if your qualifications are easily transferred or whether you need to do some top-up training. There may well be a fee for this.

Same goes for the Irish Institute for Radiography.

Thanks a lot for these info:)

• Advertisement

I added a bit more info while you were thanking me! :D

I added a bit more info while you were thanking me! :D

Than thanking you once again :D

So HSE is in bad situation and no matter what kind of job i would search for over there (care assistant,support worker,nurse,radiographer....) it will go tough?

On the other side working for private companies is also ok but i was reading about low wages over there and that they doesnt provide you full time shifts all the time so you can struggle coz it means no stable income....

Must add that i didnt see situation in UK was any better,salaries doesnt seem good even its maybe easier to get a job....donnow if there are any experiences about it too in here

You can't compare salaries across countries easily. The cost of living in the UK may be slightly less. The tax rate may be lower than here. So even if the salary looks the same - £30k in the UK, €30k in Ireland - your disposable income may be very different. There's some website where you can compare but I can't remember where/what it is. Ooops, here it is, with a random Irish/UK comparision

You could look at the Nursing Times, a magazine for nurses in the UK, or contact the Royal College of Nursing for information about the UK situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,150 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't compare salaries across countries easily. The cost of living in the UK may be slightly less. The tax rate may be lower than here. So even if the salary looks the same - £30k in the UK, €30k in Ireland - your disposable income may be very different. There's some website where you can compare but I can't remember where/what it is. Ooops, here it is, with a random Irish/UK comparision

You could look at the Nursing Times, a magazine for nurses in the UK, or contact the Royal College of Nursing for information about the UK situation.

At 30k, the tax take in the UK is higher than here by about 1k a year. It only starts to get lower at significantly higher wages. Add to that that the cost of motoring is generally higher (fuel/insurance are much higher, motor tax is lower) and property taxes are insanely higher and are levied on tenants, not landlords. Cost of living is no lower for the standard employed in the UK - I've done both.

• Advertisement

The biggest problem in all of this is i have no clue how serbian degrees are treated in UK or Ireland coz i have no experience from anyone before,to read,to hear,do we require some additional exams and so on....thats coz our folks mainly go to scandinavian or german speaking countries so for them you can find all possible infos and i already know status of my degrees but pretty hard to check hows the situation in UK or Ireland.....

Never heard something like that is necessary....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,150 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/apply_registration.aspx covers the nursing side of things; there's adaption periods required in some cases. I don't know on the radiography side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

IIRT covers the radiography side. You don't have to join them but you apply to the department of health for recognition and a subgroup within the iirt assesses your qualifications.

This is the address http://www.iirrt.ie/become-a-member/faqs (sorry can't make it a link on the mobile site).

Advertisement