Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a Marathon

Options
  • 13-12-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Looking for a bit of guidance, I am considering signing up for the Dublin City Marathon 2014. I am probably mad, but it is something that I would really like to do, it would be a huge achievement for me. Wouldnt be bothered about my time, just to finish it!!

My background: Completely unfit and overweight as of Dec last year, and have made a concerted effort to loose weight this year (almost 7 stone to date). Started walking, which eventually moved to slow jogging, and was playing camogie all year. In September joined a gym where I have seriously increased the time spend exercising. At the moment running on a treadmill 3-4 times per week, usually 5k per session in about 28-30 minutes, then some strength training, and have done 10k a couple of times lately in just over an hour. Have been out on a couple of 5k runs outside, and aiming to really increase this in the new year. Also do spinning class twice a week, and some strength training/toning classes.

So where do I start?! Is aiming for a marathon way too much? I am signed up to a 5k in Feb, and 10k in April, both of which I feel that I will be well able to complete by then, and will continue to look for other races after this.

Is is realistic to aim for a marathon by October, or would I be best to build up more slowly? Maybe a half marathon first?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your first change needs to be getting off the treadmill for some of your training, and running outside. Running on a tready is not the same as on a road.

Youre not mad though, its perfectly doable. Just find yourself a novice plan coming into the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Not mad at all, it'd be mad to have suggested it a year ago before you had launched into your weight loss and fitness programme.

Massive congratulations on that, by the way. That's a brilliant achievement over the course of the year, and you've obviously been extremely committed and dedicated to improving your health and quality of life.

A lot of people can be shy about taking to the roads for the first time, but its the best thing long-term. You'll probably end up enjoying your running more on the roads, and it would be absolutely necessary in order to start thinking about longer road races. Aim for a 10k race early in the New Year, and maybe a half marathon towards the end of Spring/start of summer, before committing 100% to the marathon.

Best of luck with your goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

If you have the determination and commitment to lose 7 stone in a year then I would say you could do pretty much anything you put your mind to. Amazing feat, well done. Training for a marathon also requires determination and commitment. No bother for you. I posted a similar query a year ago and was able to do one this year. Slowly build up your mileage and maybe aim for a half marathon in Spring to see if you enjoy running longer, and do some shorter distance races before that too. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Fair play to you, you are off to a great start and obviously have good discipline which comes in handy when training for longer distances. Definitely move the running to outside. Would you consider joining a local running group like Fit For Life? You would get great advice and support from like minded people (bit like here really!) Ask plenty questions no matter how daft they seem. Im not running very long, I completed the Dublin marathon this year, go for it, its well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Well done, it sounds like you've achieved a lot already.

It sounds like you could comfortably walk 42 km tomorrow on the basis of your current training. Before I was a runner, I walked 40 km a few times, for charity or to tire out an energetic dog (no luck there!) or to take a bicycle that had broken down in the middle of nowhere to the nearest bike shop. It wasn't actually hard. It just took ages.

So the marathon challenge boils down to covering a distance you can probably already cover faster than usual in order to do justice to yourself and to your training. You have plenty of time to make the transition to outside running and to gradually ramp up what you're comfortable with.

I'm still deciding whether my pet project for the first half of 2014 should be to jump into marathon training (April marathon) or to concentrate on improving my pace at 10k and especially in a series of HMs and to kick the marathon can down the road for now. I think I'm going to run with the latter option: A whole series of HMs with a time goal of under two hours might be a bigger mental challenge for me than one "bucket list" marathon with a time goal of "however-long-it-takes". I've done the half distance in long runs, but actually racing it at a pace close to my 10k race pace (knowing I have to be able to reproduce that effort in the next one and the one after that) would probably be a decent enough challenge for me and might get me to a place (mentally and physically) where I can start thinking about the big M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

youve had good advice already on boards, but heres my 2 cents..

No your not crazy to contemplate doing it. Its very doable for you.

But you would be a bit crazy to contemplate doing it without first testing your limits in the next few months.

Id get a full health check first if I were you.

Get out on the road , dont mind the stares, remember for every one person who might give a smart comment or whatever, there are 20 people who are thinking, I wish I was doing that.

Get some longer distances in in the coming months, keep your current program, getting general and overal fitness. Your strength and conditioning gym work will really stand to you when the weather improves and you do more runs outside. What you are doing now is what alot of athletes would od on a winter base training program.

I posted this bit elsewhere but it applies to all novices
    Dont worry too much about a target time, its your first , just get around, enjoy it, relax dont be wound up about beating a time. Theres too many variables for a novice, other stuff you need to watch out for in your prep and on the day for you to be also watching the clock too much.

I know of very good 'older' marathon runners who base alot of their training on very long walks, less jarring but the odd 2-3 hours walking is as good as any run session.

Find a marathon program that matches where you are now and see if you can do the sessions and not feel wrecked .

Do a few of the fun runs and BHAA races, you will get chatting to people and gain some confidence, if you meet other people in your age bracket fitness bracket who have completed marathons and who you are able to keep with in the fun runs then you know you have it in you.

And think long term, dont just think about next years Dublin marathon, think to yourself, you will enjoy running and fun rns and halfs and the odd full for many years to come, so dont try to rush your progress, a gradua build will last you much longer than some short term immediate gains that you cant sustain the routine.

cmon dont let us down, we want to hear your making progress in the next 10 months. g'luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I know of very good 'older' marathon runners who base alot of their training on very long walks, less jarring but the odd 2-3 hours walking is as good as any run session.

You impart some very good advice CB, but I can't agree with this. Walking is better than sitting on your ass, but it won't help you run a marathon. Yes, a walk/run programme might work for many but strolling the roads won't progress you.

Different if you're race/power walking a la Heff of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

RoyMcC wrote: »
    You impart some very good advice CB, but I can't agree with this. Walking is better than sitting on your ass, but it won't help you run a marathon. Yes, a walk/run programme might work for many but strolling the roads won't progress you.

Different if you're race/power walking a la Heff of course :)

I will mention that to the multi-discipline National ranked vet champ , and ex National coach , who regularly uses walking in preparation for marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

And think long term, dont just think about next years Dublin marathon, think to yourself, you will enjoy running and fun rns and halfs and the odd full for many years to come, so dont try to rush your progress, a gradua build will last you much longer than some short term immediate gains that you cant sustain the routine.

What helps me to bear this in mind is seeing the oldsters at races. The oldest participant in the last one I did (less than 5k, but uphill over snow and mud) was 79. His race number was 100, and he was instructed that he has to keep coming back every year until his race number matches his age. It's fun to see people like that who have manged to enjoyed their training over decades - probably because they rarely did too much or too little - coming in minutes ahead of middle-aged novices and youngsters who haven't got a clue about pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I will mention that to the multi-discipline National ranked vet champ , and ex National coach , who regularly uses walking in preparation for marathons.
    Olympic marthoners used walking as prep 70+ years ago. 3 fast runs of 10k and 3 long walk of 35+ k is all they did. Its all documented in the lore of running. We just know now that we can go a little faster than walking aka easy running to improve more effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

What are the benefits, the outcomes of this approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Hi OP

Did my 1st marathon this year , and like you 12 months ago, I thought I was mad even thinking about it seen as I'd only been running for 8 months after loosing 5 stone

But boy did I enjoy DCM !
    Yes, it was hard work [ well the amount of training was hard ! ] but it was well worth it.
    I did a few 10ks during the year, then the race series 10 Miles / Half before going for DCM

Check out this thread which was fantastic help : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87444307#post87444307

Good luck !
    Vic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Took me a while to find this.

Haven't seen any peer review studies as of yet for this but food for thought with regard to the walking vs running:

http://me.queensu.ca/HMRC/HMRL/pdf/Why_Don_t_Most_Runners_Get_Knee_Osteoarthritis__A.98248.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Many thanks to everyone for posting and being so encouraging, it really is very motivating, and the advise is greatly appreciated!
    Oryx wrote: »
    Your first change needs to be getting off the treadmill for some of your training, and running outside. Running on a tready is not the same as on a road.

Youre not mad though, its perfectly doable. Just find yourself a novice plan coming into the spring.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, least I know I am not totally mad!!
    Not mad at all, it'd be mad to have suggested it a year ago before you had launched into your weight loss and fitness programme.

Massive congratulations on that, by the way. That's a brilliant achievement over the course of the year, and you've obviously been extremely committed and dedicated to improving your health and quality of life.

A lot of people can be shy about taking to the roads for the first time, but its the best thing long-term. You'll probably end up enjoying your running more on the roads, and it would be absolutely necessary in order to start thinking about longer road races. Aim for a 10k race early in the New Year, and maybe a half marathon towards the end of Spring/start of summer, before committing 100% to the marathon.

Best of luck with your goals.

Thanks! I completely agree, need to get out on the road properly early in January, and find and stick to a proper plan. I also agree, I should start small, do a few 10k and maybe them move to aim for a half marathon, and then decide on DCM. I hope that I can do it, but even a half marathon would be a great achievement for me. I will def look into finding a good plan to stick to!
    Ososlo wrote: »
    If you have the determination and commitment to lose 7 stone in a year then I would say you could do pretty much anything you put your mind to. Amazing feat, well done. Training for a marathon also requires determination and commitment. No bother for you. I posted a similar query a year ago and was able to do one this year. Slowly build up your mileage and maybe aim for a half marathon in Spring to see if you enjoy running longer, and do some shorter distance races before that too. Best of luck.

Great encouragement - thanks! I feel like that, if I have managed to get rid of 7 stone this year, I want something equally big to aim for next year, and DCM is certainly that! I never dreamed I would be even able to contemplate a marathon EVER, this time last year if I went up a flight of stairs I would be knackered. I like to have something to aim for and work towards, and I feel that this is is! I have been on the Run Ireland website and there are so many runs available to sign up for, I just need to sit down and make a definite plan for 2014, doing a few 10ks first and then moving up!
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Fair play to you, you are off to a great start and obviously have good discipline which comes in handy when training for longer distances. Definitely move the running to outside. Would you consider joining a local running group like Fit For Life? You would get great advice and support from like minded people (bit like here really!) Ask plenty questions no matter how daft they seem. Im not running very long, I completed the Dublin marathon this year, go for it, its well worth it!

Thanks! I have looked into a local Fit for Life group lately actually and I am hoping to join in Spring, only thing is I also play camogie and the nights clash, but Im sure if I dig around a bit more I will find another one. Also Park Runs is starting up very close to me at the end of January, weekly 5k runs on a Saturday so I a def going to go to that, also be a great way of meeting people I hope, I think it would be easier to run with others for motivation.
    Well done, it sounds like you've achieved a lot already.

It sounds like you could comfortably walk 42 km tomorrow on the basis of your current training. Before I was a runner, I walked 40 km a few times, for charity or to tire out an energetic dog (no luck there!) or to take a bicycle that had broken down in the middle of nowhere to the nearest bike shop. It wasn't actually hard. It just took ages.

So the marathon challenge boils down to covering a distance you can probably already cover faster than usual in order to do justice to yourself and to your training. You have plenty of time to make the transition to outside running and to gradually ramp up what you're comfortable with.

I'm still deciding whether my pet project for the first half of 2014 should be to jump into marathon training (April marathon) or to concentrate on improving my pace at 10k and especially in a series of HMs and to kick the marathon can down the road for now. I think I'm going to run with the latter option: A whole series of HMs with a time goal of under two hours might be a bigger mental challenge for me than one "bucket list" marathon with a time goal of "however-long-it-takes". I've done the half distance in long runs, but actually racing it at a pace close to my 10k race pace (knowing I have to be able to reproduce that effort in the next one and the one after that) would probably be a decent enough challenge for me and might get me to a place (mentally and physically) where I can start thinking about the big M.

Good advise! It doesnt sound THAT scary now, I think a good marathon training plan will make all the difference, and I really believe that I have the motivation to stick to it. Very best of luck with your own goals for 2014 btw!
    youve had good advice already on boards, but heres my 2 cents..

No your not crazy to contemplate doing it. Its very doable for you.

But you would be a bit crazy to contemplate doing it without first testing your limits in the next few months.

Id get a full health check first if I were you.

Get out on the road , dont mind the stares, remember for every one person who might give a smart comment or whatever, there are 20 people who are thinking, I wish I was doing that.

Get some longer distances in in the coming months, keep your current program, getting general and overal fitness. Your strength and conditioning gym work will really stand to you when the weather improves and you do more runs outside. What you are doing now is what alot of athletes would od on a winter base training program.

I posted this bit elsewhere but it applies to all novices
    Dont worry too much about a target time, its your first , just get around, enjoy it, relax dont be wound up about beating a time. Theres too many variables for a novice, other stuff you need to watch out for in your prep and on the day for you to be also watching the clock too much.

Find a marathon program that matches where you are now and see if you can do the sessions and not feel wrecked .

Do a few of the fun runs and BHAA races, you will get chatting to people and gain some confidence, if you meet other people in your age bracket fitness bracket who have completed marathons and who you are able to keep with in the fun runs then you know you have it in you.

cmon dont let us down, we want to hear your making progress in the next 10 months. g'luck

Cheers, excellent advise. I never thought of it like that, think of it as a long term plan, rather than just training for DCM and thats it. This is something that I want to maintain and enjoy for the rest of my life, so no point absolutely killing myself for one race and being burnt out. As I said above going to make a proper plan and sign up to a number of races and see how I get on with them, and them think more long term.

I dont care how long it takes me to finish it, I am not worried at all about time, just to jog the lot and get over that finish line would be amazing! I am going to speak to my gym instructor also about it, and I know she will help with the training plan, and with sessions of cross training and strength which I really want to maintain.
    Vico1612 wrote: »
    Hi OP

Did my 1st marathon this year , and like you 12 months ago, I thought I was mad even thinking about it seen as I'd only been running for 8 months after loosing 5 stone

But boy did I enjoy DCM !
    Yes, it was hard work [ well the amount of training was hard ! ] but it was well worth it.
    I did a few 10ks during the year, then the race series 10 Miles / Half before going for DCM

Check out this thread which was fantastic help : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87444307#post87444307

Good luck !
    Vic

Thanks for posting! Super to hear from someone who has taken the plunge! Well done on the 5 stone weight loss, thats amazing! And such an achievement to have DCM under your belt!! Are you going to sign up for 2014??!

I def need to get runs under my belt, and thanks for posting the link above, off for a read now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You have a great attitude, you will fly it! I bet once you get out on the roads it will be the start of a life long passion. You have now motivated me to start making a plan for 2014. Keep us posted on your progress!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    You have a great attitude, you will fly it! I bet once you get out on the roads it will be the start of a life long passion. You have now motivated me to start making a plan for 2014. Keep us posted on your progress!

Will keep posted on progress, roll on 2014 :)

Hi there!

Hoping to resurrect this thread! I posted back in Dec about doing a marathon this year. Since then I have continued working out in the gym, playing on a sports team and running. Had been doing interval running on the treadmill 2 to 3 times per week since Jan. In late May I have gotten out on the road. At the moment I am doing Monday Interval Run (approx 5-7km, either inside or outside), Tuesday: 10km steady run, Friday: Hill Sprints and Saturday: Long Run. Also doing weight training in the gym, pilates and sports. This weekend my long run is up to 27km, longest yet, and very tired legs today!

I have completed the Race Series 5 Mile, and am doing the Frank Duffy 10 Mile next weekend, and the Half on 20th Sept. Feeling good about these events and feel like I am ready to complete them. I am also doing Tough Mudder on 5th October which is a different kind of event, but feel like my training has being going well.

My doubts really are about the marathon itself. I am wondering if I have enough running experience under my belt to do DCM 2014? Am I kidding myself to think of entering or am I doing ok training wise. My long runs started in June with about 14km, and have steadily added 2 or 3km each week. I have been training consistently and out running 3 or 4 times per week in addition to gym work, with only 1 missed week as was on holiday.

Now my time is very slow, 27km took me almost 3 hours yesterday so I am certainly not going to be breaking any records, and if I could finish DCM I am not going to worry about the time as its my first marathon.

What do people thing? Am I ready to enter the marathon, is it achievable based on my training to date? I dont want to take it on if I am not ready, but on the other hand my training has been consistent and my long runs are progressing nicely, and it would be a huge personal achievement for me.

Any advice appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Sounds like you'll be well ready. You're doing more training than me and I intend to attempt a pb. Keep doing what you're doing. Add a bit each week to the long run. If you could manage 2 or 3 runs in the 32-35 km range that would be ample preparation. You can worry about time closer to the day but you might be better prepared than half the field.

Also follow the mentored novices thread on here if you're not doing so already. Its full of all the info you'll need.

snailsong wrote: »
    Sounds like you'll be well ready. You're doing more training than me and I intend to attempt a pb. Keep doing what you're doing. Add a bit each week to the long run. If you could manage 2 or 3 runs in the 32-35 km range that would be ample preparation. You can worry about time closer to the day but you might be better prepared than half the field.

Also follow the mentored novices thread on here if you're not doing so already. Its full of all the info you'll need.

Thanks for the advice, and support, I think I just needed someone to say that I was on track. Will keep going as I am going and all going well will be there in October! Must look up the mentoring notes, I have MANY marathon questions so hopefully I will find all the info I need!

Best of luck with your training :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Mimojo wrote: »
    Must look up the mentoring notes, I have MANY marathon questions so hopefully I will find all the info I need!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057204941

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Now my time is very slow, 27km took me almost 3 hours yesterday

That is NOT slow!

In fact, if that's the fastest you can cover 27KMs in, you're actually doing it too fast!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    That is NOT slow!

In fact, if that's the fastest you can cover 27KMs in, you're actually doing it too fast!

So I should really slow down on this pace? This would be a pretty comfortable pace to go around in, I am not out of breath etc, and it doesnt feel laboured etc, but should I slow down more? I find it hard to judge to be honest for my lsr so the last few have been at roughly this pace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

So I should really slow down on this pace? This would be a pretty comfortable pace to go around in, I am not out of breath etc, and it doesnt feel laboured etc, but should I slow down more? I find it hard to judge to be honest for my lsr so the last few have been at roughly this pace

If thats your pretty comfortable pace then I think you're OK
    Have a read of the first 2 posts by Osolslo in the thread linked to above. It explains well how and when you should be running at 'conversational pace' etc

Have a little chat with yourself like I do! People will think you're mad. But shur you are!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Mimojo, do you plan on really going for the Frank Duffy 10 miler? If so, I think you'll get a better idea of what to aim for in the 42.2k event. Obviously same goes for the Half marathon but that's further down the line.

On one of the Long Runs, you might try to up the pace for a few miles towards the end- but give yourself a bit of time to cool down too - to see how it feels.

Itziger wrote: »
    Mimojo, do you plan on really going for the Frank Duffy 10 miler? If so, I think you'll get a better idea of what to aim for in the 42.2k event. Obviously same goes for the Half marathon but that's further down the line.

On one of the Long Runs, you might try to up the pace for a few miles towards the end- but give yourself a bit of time to cool down too - to see how it feels.

I have no idea what to aim for with the 10 Mile, the only actual race I have done is the 5 Mile back in June, which I have to say I really enjoyed, and ended up completing a lot faster than I had anticipated so I am hoping that the same will happen on Saturday. I am hoping to really go for it, but not to start off too fast either so I am not wrecked half way around! Its great practice for me though, and all a learning curve, will let you know how it goes!

Advertisement