Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a beginner telescope

Options
  • 13-12-2013 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I've read all the threads, looked at all the sites and I'm still no closer to having a clue what telescope is best for my needs.

I don't have many requirements other than to get a decent view of the night sky and I want to be able to hook up a camera and do some basic astrophotography. Budget is up to €4-500.

So what do you recommend and what should I stay away from? Preferably want it from a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland as opposed to Amazon, Ebay etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

I've read all the threads, looked at all the sites and I'm still no closer to having a clue what telescope is best for my needs.

I don't have many requirements other than to get a decent view of the night sky and I want to be able to hook up a camera and do some basic astrophotography. Budget is up to €4-500.

So what do you recommend and what should I stay away from? Preferably want it from a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland as opposed to Amazon, Ebay etc.

Your best bet probably would be Newtonian on equatorial mount.if you willing to look second hand there is one on adverts
    www.adverts.ie/telescopes-binoculars/6-newtonian-telescope-with-cg5-goto-mount/4374281
    P.S. I am in no way associated with the seller.
    Regarding new stuff email Stephen from Ktech telescopes I am sure he will have something within your budget.
    www.ktectelescopes.ie/
    For visual you would do alright with your budget but when it comes to photography that's when it comes pricey...new mounts start close to your budget as you need motorised one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jay11

I went into the shop in swords, Scopes and Space. I bought an equatorial telescope from the lads, I was dealing with Carl in the shop.

He really knows the products he is selling and wonderful to deal with. Once I got the Telescope he even came out to my place to show me how to set it up for Astrophotography, now that is customer service.

Pop into their shop showroom and have a chat with the lads. www.scopesandspace.ie

Good Luck!

Advertisement