Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city centre secure bike park?

Options
  • 12-12-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Quick Question??

I have a friend who has a garage off Henry st in Dublin and he is looking at setting up a secure bike park in it ( eg, users holding a key and all bikes locked to indoor racks, daily,weekly, yearly rates etc). He still researching the idea and its in its early days?? would people use it? it seems popular in other cities such as edinburgh and "that there london.."

Any feedback would be appreciated?

Dermot

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It would depend on price but I would use it if it was decently priced enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tomred13 wrote: »
    ... would people use it?...
    Apologies for being vulgar and bringing up the topic of money but, in reality, it depends on the price. It would have to be low enough to prevent cyclists from using Drury Street. Those with high end bikes may be willing to pay a bit more but very few of those will commute in their 'good' bike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Hi Folks

Quick Question??

I have a friend who has a garage off Henry st in Dublin and he is looking at setting up a secure bike park in it ( eg, users holding a key and all bikes locked to indoor racks, daily,weekly, yearly rates etc). He still researching the idea and its in its early days?? would people use it? it seems popular in other cities such as edinburgh and "that there london.."

Any feedback would be appreciated?

Dermot

He should contact Dublin City Council's traffic and transport department to make sure they don't have any conflicting plans, as I know they are looking at large-scale bike parking in the city and at one point remembers calls to mirror the Drury Street parking.

Another point of contact might be councillor Andrew Montague who might be able to give you insight into what's planned.

Re feedback:

There's a few adjoining lanes that would not be great locations but it could be handy and somewhere near Cineworld would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

cheers for the comments folks, the places abroad he was looking at charged €3 a day, €15 for a week etc.

monument wrote: »
    He should contact Dublin City Council's traffic and transport department to make sure they don't have any conflicting plans, as I know they are looking at large-scale bike parking in the city and at one point remembers calls to mirror the Drury Street parking.

Another point of contact might be councillor Andrew Montague who might be able to give you insight into what's planned.

Re feedback:

There's a few adjoining lanes that would not be great locations but it could be handy and somewhere near Cineworld would be great.

Cheers Monument

Will send on those details to him, much appreciated

• Advertisement

Apologies for being vulgar and bringing up the topic of money but, in reality, it depends on the price. It would have to be low enough to prevent cyclists from using Drury Street. Those with high end bikes may be willing to pay a bit more but very few of those will commute in their 'good' bike.

Good point on the " good bike" theory wishbone ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I think it's a great idea, i would use it. Something like that is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I'd certainly consider using it. I would have to be really secure though. I'd love something like this in UCD where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Terrible location: try somewhere nearer Merrion Square, then I'll use it daily.

No, that's not the sound of me being massively self interested, you must be confused...

Terrible location: try somewhere nearer Merrion Square, then I'll use it daily.

No, that's not the sound of me being massively self interested, you must be confused...

Well Dave..

A southside garage lockup would have to have indoor carpetting, free champagne n jaffacakes on tap, and personal saddle warmer....hahaha

• Advertisement

Once again, cheers for all the feedback, my mate is going to contact the council and see what they are planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Once again, cheers for all the feedback, my mate is going to contact the council and see what they are planning.

It'd be good to have something northside tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

It'd be good to have something northside tbh.

For what it's worth, I agree. It would be nicer still to have several, in many locations in the city. Maybe an obligation on anyone seeking a car parking licence would be provision of bike parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jwick22

Has there been any update on proposed bike parking facilities in the city ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

cheers for the comments folks, the places abroad he was looking at charged €3 a day, €15 for a week etc.

That is quite pricey. E.g., in Netherlands it is €13/month or €110 a year or something.

For a commuter, a yearly pass at your price costs €720/year. That is a fairly sizeable chunk of money IMO. It is not tax deductable even if using it for work so that is the guts of €1200-1500 of gross income per year.

How many bikes depends on how many commuters are the area. A wild stab into nothing might be e.g., 100 people within a few minutes stroll to make it worthwhile.

Might be better off keeping it small at 100 bikes and €200/year and having a few located at key points around the city.

Advertisement