Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant rejection after previous acceptance

Options
  • 12-12-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I applied for the grant this year, being reasonably confident I would qualify, though have been rejected.

I did a level 6 course last year & was provisionally awarded. Obviously couldn't avail due to the course level.

I'm doing a lvl 8 now, & my grant has been refused due to reckonable income (€130,000 p.a. apparently) even though my Ma's hours have literally been cut in half! :confused:

I have the appeal form in, just waiting pulling my hair out! How likely is it I'll have it overturned? It seems like it's a simple miscalculation, but I'm going through all the "what-ifs?" & it's driving me mental. Is it a common occurrence to be accepted then refused? I don't see anyway I can continue without it. My college experience has been ruined enough already, I'm at wits end

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If there is a change in circumstances in income then state that in the appeal

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Everything was up to date, income is ~47k, limit is 54k or thereabouts

There's maintenance payments coming from the income but they're adding them, rather than taking away?

We filled in the application the exact same, using the previous year's print out, only changing the figures that did change

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Check the status, just returned as "unsuccessful"

Can anyone please explain to me how such a situation occurs?

I went into my course fairly confident I would qualify, having done so the previous year.
    The only thing that's changed financially is that my mother has half the hours she had last year.

I really don't know what to do, if it was likely I wasn't going to get it I would've deferred & saved up for the year. But now I can't really drop out & reapply next year can I!

Advertisement