Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safesaver, can't get rid of it!

Options
  • 12-12-2013 6:43pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Normally I'm very careful and never get malware but I picked up a few recently, the main one being safesaver. It I've searched and the remove instructions are to uninstall the program from add/remove programs, then delete the extension from chrome. The thing is, there are no entries for either! I;ve tried malware bytes (pro trial) and it finds nothing!

What can I do? Any recommendations for a good(unintrustive) protection tool?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Have a look here if you didn't already:
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/safe-saver-virus-removal/

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks guys, so I have done everything on those pages - and still the dam thing is here!

What the virus/malware does it highlight random words on all web pages, making them look like links, and then a popup add appears upon hover showing an add

I may end up reinstalling windows, I hate all this crap on my system and messing around trying to get rid of it.

Anything else I can try?

yep

Download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files here

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, both files attached

• Advertisement

not seeing much, no need to attach the logs in the future

open OTL click the None button at the very top, copy and paste this into the box

C:\Program Files (x86)\*.*
    C:\Program Files (x86)\*.
    C:\Users\Colin\AppData\Roaming\*.
    netsvcs
    msconfig
    safebootminimal
    safebootnetwork
    activex
    drivers32
    SaveMBR:0
    createrestorepoint
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    C:\*.*
    showhidden

click run scan post the log

Thanks for the help jsa - much apreciated

New scan results attached

your logs aren't showing anything at all for it. best advice I can give is to disable your chrome extensions one at a time until you find which one is causing your problems

Ahh thanks I never thought of that!

Ok disabled a load and so far is seems to be gone! Phew! Ok now just to find the corporate.

Cheers for the help that was driving me nuts
    z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Guys. My Chrome has been taken over by SafeSaver. I've tried everything to remove it but it keeps coming back.

I can see the extension in Chrome but it's actually listed as "NewSaover 1.1" ?

Google is showing up nothing for this though.

• Advertisement

uninstall that extension

Advertisement