Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RHEL 7 Beta

Options
  • 12-12-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I see RHEL 7 beta is out for public download, Ive grabbed a copy which my subscription manager on RHEL website says is good for a month or so.

I've no experience with RHEL subs directly, I do use CentOS for teaching myself enterprise linux related stuff !

Im wondering after the RHEL 7 subscription expires, is the iso still functional.

The reason I ask, I'm building a proof of concept IaaS system for UL as my college FYP this year, Im currently planning to use the components of OpenStack on CentOS servers, obviously CentOS run's and old kernel and init system.

Id really like to use the 3.10 kernel (easier docker integration) and systemd that comes with new RHEL7/Fedora19....could I use RHEL 7 after the expiry date ? ....I know its beta, but minimal install should be pretty stable right :-p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I see RHEL 7 beta is out for public download, Ive grabbed a copy which my subscription manager on RHEL website says is good for a month or so.

I've no experience with RHEL subs directly, I do use CentOS for teaching myself enterprise linux related stuff !

Im wondering after the RHEL 7 subscription expires, is the iso still functional.

The reason I ask, I'm building a proof of concept IaaS system for UL as my college FYP this year, Im currently planning to use the components of OpenStack on CentOS servers, obviously CentOS run's and old kernel and init system.

Id really like to use the 3.10 kernel (easier docker integration) and systemd that comes with new RHEL7/Fedora19....could I use RHEL 7 after the expiry date ? ....I know its beta, but minimal install should be pretty stable right :-p

Should be fine, I've installed trial versions of their various older releases & all that happens is that you won't be able to get any updates & the odd message complaining that this system isn't registered with RH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Cool, thats what I was thinking..cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm not sure about beta version but on normal RHEL once your subscription runs out you lose access to the RHEL network and any package updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

matrim wrote: »
    I'm not sure about beta version but on normal RHEL once your subscription runs out you lose access to the RHEL network and any package updates.

Yes but once CentOS catches up, you can add their repositories to your yum configuration, and get their updates.

If you want the cutting edge stuff Id go with Fedora as you will get much better support online.

You will get a much warmer welcome starting a question with "ive got a problem with Fedora 19/20" than saying "Ive got RHEL7 beta and the subscription has run out and I have a problem..."

Fedora 20 went to general release on Tuesday, it comes with kernel 3.12.

Using Beta software for a project is rarely a good idea.

syklops wrote: »
    Yes but once CentOS catches up, you can add their repositories to your yum configuration, and get their updates.

If you want the cutting edge stuff Id go with Fedora as you will get much better support online.

You will get a much warmer welcome starting a question with "ive got a problem with Fedora 19/20" than saying "Ive got RHEL7 beta and the subscription has run out and I have a problem..."

Fedora 20 went to general release on Tuesday, it comes with kernel 3.12.

Using Beta software for a project is rarely a good idea.
    I hear ya, Im going to stick with CentOS, I want the project as enterprise grade as I can !! Docker since 0.7 can now be run on CentOS....yaay for me !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Stuxnet wrote: »
    I hear ya, Im going to stick with CentOS, I want the project as enterprise grade as I can !! Docker since 0.7 can now be run on CentOS....yaay for me !

I think you'd be wise. In the supporting docs you can add a note that were this an enterprise implementation the system would obviously run on RHEL not CentOS, but the budget could not stretch to a full RHEL license for the purposes of this project. Bonus points for saying it has already been tested on RHEL7 ;)

lol...I like it !!

Advertisement