Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

misunderstanding

Options
  • 12-12-2013 3:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭

i have recently requested access to the soccer forum (1st dec)

a MOD (mars bar) replied saying under review (2nd dec)

on the 9th i sent a pm asking the mod if they have forgotten about me or how long does it take to review. not trying to hassle the mod just asking if it was normal to be under review for awhile.

the same day i got a reply telling me that they think that i am a re-reg or something. they think that i had another account called <edited>. they told me that wasnt allowed and that the old account has been idle for awhile but if i close it they will grant me access.

i told them that this is my only account and ive only heard about boards during the summer just before i signed up. i suggested ways which i could prove who i am such as giving them access to my facebook or my email address or they could even mail this other person and just ask at least.

after another few days of no contact i asked them again today (12th dec) what the story was and if i was going to get a decision.

they replied and told me that they are very confident that i am this other guy. they told me i have "similar writing styles" and that it has been bumped up to admin and if i dont close my other account i could have both accounts site banned.

now the mod tells me the other account is not idle. hey tell me our ip address's are similar.

how can i resolve this issue without trying to find this other guy and get him to close his account? surely if it is me i can ask for you guys to delete the account?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP, as this isn't DRP related. I'll leave to an admin to check the IP matches.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hi untouchable

Sorry for the delay but we wanted to do some checks. That's basically part of the reason for the Soccer Access request mechanism. I'm in discussion with the local mods on this and we hope to get back to you shortly

Thanks

no problem Beasty thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, I've had a good look at this and let's be honest here, there's no misunderstanding. This is most definitely an alt account of Paulegend. Don't even bother trying to deny it, you'd only be insulting my intelligence and making yourself look even more ridiculous than you do now.

So what now? Well I'm actually going to give you a choice:

1 - You close this account immediately and you will be allowed to continue posting in the Soccer forum under the Paulegend account after a two week forum ban.

2 - You refuse to close this account and carry on with the charade, which will then force me to siteban it and up the Soccer ban to a month.

• Advertisement

this is ridiculous.

ok can you close the paulegend account for me?

i am not refusing to close any account. i dont have access to this other account.

if it is my account and i dont have access then can i reset my password and have it sent to my new email address so i can then go ahead and close the account myself? or could you delete the account for me?

im trying my best to comply here. i have been open about everything im offering access to my facebook account if that helps im trying. instead of just being allowed to post i am being given the run around and wasting all of our time with this ridiculous nonsense.

I can't close accounts, but if there's an account to be closed it's this one, not the Paulegend one. I've given you your options, choose one.

so your telling me that its impossible for the same ip address to show up on two different accounts?

im sorry but your wrong mate this is my one and only account.

ive come on here a few months ago i havent had an issue with anybody. ive posted and had some banter ive also discussed topics which interested me and ive partaken in debates. i then seen the soccer forum and wanted to discuss that but realized that their where certain criteria. i have no problem in the fact that there is criteria as its yer site and im just a happy visitor. i applied for access when i thought i was eligible but then this has all happened. ive been accused of being a re-gen who this mod must have a grip with and then ive been talked to rudely by yourself. i mean if you think im taking the beans thats grand but you dont need to be rude. as a 48 year old father of 2 ive never been talked down to like this. "insulting your intelligence"? no mate im not at all. if you look at my history ive never insulted anyone online and never would. im not one of these "keyboard warriors" i realise that the person im talking to is a PERSON.

now i know that youve a job to do that you dont get paid for but if you dont like your job dont take it out on others. if you really think that i am this other person fine just siteban me and ill stay away because this is not worth it anymore with the hassle im getting. ive been open and offered you my personal details and you dare to treat me with such contempt. its gotten so bad that im worried my wife will see these comments online. but fair play to you i wouldnt want "to make myself look even more ridiculous"

ive googled it and with my limited techy knowledge ive seen that it is entirely possible to have identical ip addresses. in fact my mate who is a software developer for a major computer security company has also confirmed with me that it is very possible to have two ip addresses that are the exact same especially in an apartment complex that provides broadband to its residents. there are also about 250 people living in this complex and paul is a common name in limerick and probably ireland therefore it is possible that there is more than 1 paul. are you even sure that this other "paul" is a male or female? hell are you sure his name is even Paul and the whole paulegend thing isnt a movie or song reference?

now im not trying to insult you intelligence or make myself look even m ore ridiculous but you my friend are way off base. i with my limited knowledge have just shown you why you are wrong.

so ill give you two option.

1) ban me. wipe my account if youd like. im been given so much hassle by one mod and yourself. ive been insulted and embarrassed so well done.
    2) do nothing. just leave me in this same situation and hope i keep up my excellent record of behaving myself and just chatting with others or that i just go away without forcing you to actually do anything.

or a third option and this is just thrown in to give you the option. take what im saying seriously and see that i am in fact a genuine person with one account and whatever way you have of hacking into my computer and seeing my ip address(dodgy) is obviously flawed.

you and this mod are wrong.

thanks for your time

I've had another admin review this just so you can't say that you weren't given a fair hearing, and he's come to the same conclusion as me that this account is an alt account of Paulegend. There are far too many similarities in style, content etc., that the overwhelming obvious IP address matches are simply the icing on the cake, rather than the main reason for reaching this conclusion. So, based on the options given to you earlier, I'm permabanning this account and the Paulegend account will be banned from Soccer for one month.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement