Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Linux

Options
  • 12-12-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Hi there

My uncle wants me to make his 7 year old desktop faster its currently running xp but is very slow, i think linux might be the way to go as he only uses it for, done deal, youtube, emails, and some light surfing, nothing else,

Any Recommendations would be grateful, as i installed ubuntu 12.04 ok but its not detecting the network card, as its telling me a network cable is unplugged but its not as its dual booting with xp, and xp can get on the net no bother.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What's the spec on the box? And what's the network card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

all i know its a dell optiplex series

this is what it looks like Dell_Optiplex_GX1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Firstly as a distro I'd suggest running something with xfce. Probably xubuntu, xfce has less frills than ubuntu, so it should be a bit faster though also a bit more utilitarian.

Changing your distro probably won't your network though (though it is always possible that a newer kernel might fix it). And we will need a bit more information to help with that. Can you run an application called terminal and run the 'lspci' and 'dmesg' commands while pasting their output somewhere we can read it. They should hopefully give some indication on what is going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

The latest version of Linux Mint with XFCE desktop environment, would be a good intuitive OS for him to work on, maybe set automatic install of updates for him, and thats it !!

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2516

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Lubuntu is my favourite lightweight Linux distro. Very easy to use for any XP user.

• Advertisement
Advertisement