Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHL Statistical Value - Where does it come from?

Options
  • 12-12-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

I've recently ordered some electronic items from China. There were 3 items costing $8.50 each. Total goods value = $25.50. I also paid $30 for shipping. Total value I should pay VAT on: $55.50 (approx €40.32). I would expect to be paying a little under €10 VAT on that (at 23%).

Unfortunately, when the goods arrived at the door, I had to pay €20.62. I got a 'Duty/VAT Invoice' a couple of days later which said the "Statistical Value" was €87.93, VAT on that @ 23% is €20.22, plus a modest admin fee of €0.40 (total €20.62).

My question is this: What is the "statistical value" and how is it calculated? I emailed DHL with the same question 3 days ago but have not yet received an answer to that simple question (I have received a couple of mails to the effect that "we are looking into this" and "a ticket has been created" but I am not confident!).

To whom can I make a complaint about this? (Revenue, National Consumer Agency?). It's not the €20 that bothers me. It's that, as far as I know at present, the figure of €87.93 has been made up by DHL. I am also sceptical that they will even pass on any/all of that VAT to Revenue in Ireland but I have no basis for that other than a general (justified IMO) cynicism about these things.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DraganGTD

Same happened to me today. Bought goods for €80 and the statistical value from DHL is €142. Still no clue why is that.

Advertisement