Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Switching from O2 to 3 Questions

Options
  • 12-12-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ok thinking of switching from O2 to Three I am on Pay as you go and O2's data limit of 700mb per month and anything over is €1 per day is not enough. Was with 3 before(over 5 years ago)and changed due to their crap customer service and also lack of coverage esp. in the UK and abroad. So can anyone answer me this:
      How are Three with their coverage in Ireland and abroad esp. UK as over in UK a lot with football and family
      Does their online webtext allow overseas texts as using cabbage and textdroid and I can text UK and further afield with this
      Want to remain on a PAYG so what's the best options for this with preferences for unlimited Data
      Customer Service has it improved

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Spooky coincidence because I was in similar situation about six months ago. (This will sound like I work for Three, but I swear I DON'T. :)

I was with O2 since mobile phones were invented, I didn't have a smart phone, and I was on a plan so incredible that they stopped offering it after a few months because they were losing money left & right. (that's a guess, I don't work for them either).

And yet, I switched to Three. Can't speak for coverage abroad, coverage in Ireland is average. BUT €20/month, payg, gets you UNLIMITED data. (and other stuff; see website). Haven't needed customer service yet but very straight forward to order online. Can't recommend them enough.

And Merry Xmas :)

Also, viber/skype/whatsapp for texts. And coverage in UK is not bad at all because...isn't Three a UK company? I don't know why, but coverage there is as good as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks and a Happy Xmas to you :D

Ok was over on the 3 forum have to check if phone unlocked first then have to look at package. I would not spend €20 a month on top ups as dont use the phone that much mainly for texts and internet access few calls now and again..kinda ironic phones not used for not making calls I know:rolleyes:

If I dont top up by €20 its €1.01 per mb which is gross. Still have to look at other packages so that means going into a 3 store...god help me

Anyone on any other package with 3 on PAYG

cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks and a Happy Xmas to you :D

Ok was over on the 3 forum have to check if phone unlocked first then have to look at package. I would not spend €20 a month on top ups as dont use the phone that much mainly for texts and internet access few calls now and again..kinda ironic phones not used for not making calls I know:rolleyes:

If I dont top up by €20 its €1.01 per mb which is gross. Still have to look at other packages so that means going into a 3 store...god help me

Anyone on any other package with 3 on PAYG

cheers

Have a look at some of the threads on the Three forum particularly relating to their support. Even having been with them, some of the stuff defies belief. They may offer AYCED, but in a lot of cases, it is unusable, the network is so congested. PAYG is the better option now, it seems to offer a lot more than bill pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think the 30 day sim only contracts on 48 and tesco are worth checking out. Enough calls, txt and data so you won't go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cjc0101

hi all, I would order a payasyougo SIM online as that's the only way to make sure you have coverage where you usually are, work/home/pub/shops/etc. if you're happy you can always move your number to that SIM after you tried it out. I've been with 3IRL ages, you get ayce data with 20yoyos, but you also get some free data allowance with €10, 200MB I think, plus some free any net texts. you can buy 500MB for 4.99 to use within a month, but think you can buy another as soon as you use it up, only problem is 3 is 3g only so no data when roaming on Vodafone.ie, so I hear, I'm with 3 so long I can use voda's gprs, which is painfully slow so not much use, except for receiving emails. not missing much there!
    customer service is plain awful! don't bother with them, makes life easier! for customer problems,faqs/roaming q's, ask the 3 reps On here, usually very helpful, get things sorted fast.
    roaming is at standard EU rates, I've used it in NL/BE/Spain, no hassle, used roaming in UK on 3UK which was a dream as could use my Free any net texts (IRL networks only) and ayce data too, handy for maps etc. at the time payasyougo customers could only use 3UK, which was fine east of river bann in NI, however on coverage in Fermannagh at all, though that might have changed. as there was no backup roaming partner network at the time my 3 phone was useless, as had no coverage whilst in Fermannagh, now I believe you can roam on o2uk, at standard EU rates, so be sure to turn off data roaming on o2uk, manual network selection would be good to choose if you want to use data, shame 3 didn't have a setting in your account to only data roam on 3 sister networks.I would suggest getting a SIM and see if it suits you, even if only as a roaming backup in UK for data

• Advertisement
Advertisement