Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What options for SME to go cloud

Options
  • 12-12-2013 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

I was recently informed that our server needs replacing/upgrading, we still have some machines running XP and use the obsolete Small Business Server.I was wondering about going cloud for everything, we already use hosted/cloud CMS for our eCommerce sites. Our suggested new server would have 20Gb RAM and 1800Gb of HDD space for 500 odd product line codes and 6200 customers.

My main concern is that if our broadband (copper only in our Ind Est) went down, we would be in serious doo doo. That said if it goes down now, we would be in bother with no email etc. I think if we had come paralell connection like WiMax that might negate most of the risk.

We have about 12 PCs, separate email/web server, we have an ERP system, the usual Office suites, and a multi user GoldMine CRM package. We have a couple of part-time remote users as well.

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

My main concern is that if our broadband (copper only in our Ind Est) went down, we would be in serious doo doo. That said if it goes down now, we would be in bother with no email etc. I think if we had come paralell connection like WiMax that might negate most of the risk.

You could have a 3G/4G backup device in case the main connection goes down. The speed will quite likely be reduced but better slow than dead in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

qwertz wrote: »
    You could have a 3G/4G backup device in case the main connection goes down. The speed will quite likely be reduced but better slow than dead in the water.

Thanks for that, a backup with mobile or wimax will do the trick.

On the bigger issue of Cloud for everything, it sort of remiinds me of the old days with VT100 dumb terminals and the server is physically remote, now it is not even on-site!.. I love the idea of having no PCs at all, we dont need them for the normal business use. Is this feasible?

Well, hard to answer that question without knowing more about your organisation. Feel free to take this to a PM, I am happy to help.

Specifically what additional information to the original post would be required to offer some suggestions. The type of business is simply not relevant.

I didn't ask about the type, I honestly don't care. I am interested in what you do IT-wise and where you are trying to get with that. The more details you share the more likely I (and others) might be able to make recommendations.

Hosting servers, applications or services in the cloud is one thing, getting rid of your PCs is another. These areas are approached differently.

• Advertisement

Ok, the PC/Thin Client thing is somewhat irrelevant, so for the purposes of this discussion, the cloud account offering / capability /scope etc is the main consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

Would you not tier the backups!

I.E go from new server to a NAS/RDX/Tape and off to the cloud then!? Obviously preventing from disaster if your broadband happens to go down!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

My main concern is that if our broadband (copper only in our Ind Est) ......

Would the upload speed at the moment put a limit on the joy ?

Any word/hope of e-Fibre or fibre in the new year ? ( bit like looking into a crystal ball ? )
    I was recently informed that our server needs replacing/upgrading, we still have some machines running XP and use the obsolete Small Business Server.I was wondering about going cloud for everything, we already use hosted/cloud CMS for our eCommerce sites. Our suggested new server would have 20Gb RAM and 1800Gb of HDD space for 500 odd product line codes and 6200 customers.

If fibre is on the way , could you short term lease something suitable to tide you over ?

( some leasing is deductible ? )

http://www8.hp.com/ie/en/hp-financial-services/solutions/rentals.html

http://www.hamilton.co.uk/serverrental.cfm

After some indicative costings (ugly!) and some warnings about losing control, we are going to update with new server/server 2012/storage as we are happy with the software packages we have at present. The mission is now to do it well for the most efficient cost but no cutting corners by trying to do it too skinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Random idea :

might be worth getting a good,cheap ( pick any two sort of thing :) ) email server out on the internet to handle/filter emails before they get to your internal one.

Reason : if an email arrives with a virus/exploit/whatever else it should/might detect it and kill it before it hits your internal network

• Advertisement
Advertisement