Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handbag for my GF

Options
  • 12-12-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I'm planning to buy a handbag for my girlfriend this Christmas. This isn't an area I'm an expert in and I know I haven't given any details on my GF's style/taste but is there any tips or advice you could offer me? Maybe even bags you'd recommend? Budget is 100 - 150 EUR!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You could check out coach bags? They're usually a little more than 150 but you might get a nice bag for that in the coach shop in Kildare Village.

Otherwise I wouldn't really know where to direct you, river island have really nice bags most of the time and they'd be anything from 60 euro or so.

Juicy Couture bags too, but not all women are into that. Without knowing what her style is its kind of hard to recommend somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have a look at what she has already, then go to BT2 or Arnotts and ask the sales staff will help you pick something out. Don't go down the route of 'she hasn't got a bag like this so that's what il get'. You may just end up getting her a style she doesn't like.

Also, think about her lifestyle, does she have to carry a laptop around with her etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Furla in Kildare Village is good. Very helpful girls who helped me out a few xmasses ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You could get a Ted Baker or Radley or a small Lauren by Ralph Lauren bag in that price range, and Biba at House of Fraser bags are class too - nice quality leather. I'd say take a couple of sneaky pics of the bags she uses most often, and take note of the colour of her winter coat(s) (or her favourite dresses if you want to get her an evening bag) so that shop assistants can help, as suggested above!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

Michael Kors would be a safe bet I think, you can get them in BT2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I was going to suggest Michael Kors too. I love their jet set bags. Definitely get something in that price range. A new stand alone store opened in Dundrum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd recommend going to a store with variety - BT2, House of Fraser etc. A store with shop assistants who can help guide you to a style.

As other posters have suggested, have a look at her current choice of bags, and her clothing style. Has she dropped any hints about a particular brand etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭McBauer

Thanks for all the tips! Managed to get some pics of her current bags and will have a look in bt2 and some other stores this weekend. Also any tips on what colour to go for? What's the most popular currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tan is very popular and classic, especially good if she already has tan boots, but there's also the risk she might hate it! Totally depends on the person, I'd say go with the assistants they tend to know what they're talking about! If you're really unsure you could ask the girlfriend about getting a handbag as a gift supposedly for your Mum/sister etc and pick up a few tips about her own preferences that way, could be worth a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

To be honest, I wouldn't risk buying her a bag without letting her choose it. I've had so many bags bought for me that I didn't like and a lot of money was spent. I think bags are something that are very difficult to choose for people and something people tend to be very picky about and particularly when you don't really have any idea yourself of what she'd like.

Sorry but I just thought I'd add that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dont even consider coach. The Americans and Canadians think they are very basic

Furla in Kildare is a good option. Their Candy bags are really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

guess have lovely bags also...its hard to recommend a color cause everyone has different taste...if l were you l'd bring some of the pics into a shop and show them to the shop assistant, they would surely be helpful and able to pick something out nice...

http://www.guess.eu/en/Catalog/Browse/women/bags/?page=99

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This is perfect example why it is so hard to pick a bag for someone. A lot of people love guess, I dislike most of their stuff.

What about buying nice versatile clutch. She might not use it all the time but she could use it for years going out. And it doesn't need to be so individual because usually there are other parts of the outfit that stand out.

Advertisement