Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert applied

Options
  • 12-12-2013 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Lads, what level is the leaving cert applied? Searched the entire internet but can't find anything concrete. It's almost like the course is a secret or somthing lol

Isnt the traditional leaving cert level 4 and 5 ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Same as the traditional it seems, level 5.
    Do Leaving Certificate Applied students receive a Leaving Certificate?

Yes. Students who successfully complete the programme will receive a Leaving Certificate from the State Examinations Commission. All credits awarded will be recorded on the Leaving Certificate Applied parchment. For further details check out the assessment page.

Source:http://lca.slss.ie/faq.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The LCA is Level 5.
    It's not that much of a secret OP, what questions do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I completed the LCA but a lot of people were telling me it's only level 4. The garda recruitment is looking for a level 5 and everyone told me LCA wouldnt meet the educational requirements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The guards have always accepted LCA with a Merit or Distinction grade. It is a Level 5 qualification, like the standard Leaving Certificate.

Unless there has been a major shift in policy, which the guards have not told schools about, this is still the same.

To be fair, the educational requirements are not the main stumbling block most people have when applying for the guards.

spurious wrote: »
    The guards have always accepted LCA with a Merit or Distinction grade. It is a Level 5 qualification, like the standard Leaving Certificate.

Unless there has been a major shift in policy, which the guards have not told schools about, this is still the same.

To be fair, the educational requirements are not the main stumbling block most people have when applying for the guards.

Well I got a merit by 1%:o so I should be ok :D

• Advertisement

Discrimination if you ask me lads? think I have a genuine case here? It is a level 5 so whats the problem?

Dear carzony,

Grades attained in the Leaving Certificate Applied (LCA) do not meet the minimum entry requirements. Grades attained in the Leaving Certificate and Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP) will be considered.

Regards

Public Appointments Service

Is that an email you got from them?

They clearly state (in their notes for candidates) that:
    "(iii) a qualification that, in the opinion of Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is not lower than the standard of the qualification specified at (i) and (ii) above."
    is acceptable.

I would write back and ask them exactly when they changed this requirement and how and when they informed schools of this change. Sounds like QQI is a new quango just doing what FETAC did before, but doing it badly.

There are a number of serving Gardai who did the LCA.

I would be amazed if they considered someone with 5 bare passes in OL subjects as more qualified to apply for the guards than someone who achieved a distinction grade in the LCA (with all that that means with regard to level of attendance, interview and research skills, completion of work consistently throughout two years etc..)

Their own graphic does not distinguish between LC and LCA in terms of level of qualification:
    http://www.qqi.ie/Pages/National%20Framework%20of%20Qualifications.aspx

Of course there are Leaving Certs and Leaving Certs, but a merit or distinction in the LCA suggests a much higher level of work than 5 passes at OL does. It would not surprise me if whatever quango member replied to you did not even know what the LCA entails, or possibly that it even exists - many people who have been exclusively through schools that do not offer it don't know about it.

yes got the email back a few hours ago

It's a serious issue.

It goes against anything ever issued by the DES or the NCCA. I will be contacting some people on Monday about it. If you can contact someone in your old school please do so.

As I said earlier, it's probably an error made by someone who never came across the LCA before, but the old standard we usually use is what is quoted on the schooldays site (taken from DES and NCCA documents):
    A Pass in the Leaving Certificate Applied is the equivalent of 6 Grade D's at Ordinary Level in the established Leaving Certificate.

Now if they have changed that unilaterally, schools should have been told.

Feel free to link to this thread in your response to them.

I have sent them another email telling them that LCA is level 5 and they are advertising minimum requirments as level 5.

I told them I consider this discrimination and false advertising. I find when you accuse them of that then they'll look at it and try to clarify lol

• Advertisement

lads, they havnt even bothered replying to the email I sent them. i rang the gardai hq and they told me LCA is no longer accepted. Again an explanation was asked for but not given..

I think a lot of other emergency services may follow this route.. The gardai has done it and hasnt even had to offer an explanation.

I have had a number of replies on this (Public services appointments commission, Attorney General's office, PDST etc.) , all blaming different Departments and offices for the decision. Nobody has taken responsibility for the decision.

As I said, I suspect someone in an office somewhere who probably never heard of the LCA, much less knew it was always accepted for the Garda College. I'm waiting for a response from the Ministers of Justice and Education.

It's a disgrace carzony that they have not replied to you. Email them again and ask specifically who made the decision and where is it recorded. I know the Professional Development Service for Teachers, who support the LCA, are very annoyed about this too.

That's exactly my feeling aswell. I bet someone just made the decision without actually knowing what LCA is. Let me know if you get an answer anytime soon. It's beyond belief how difficult it is to get a response from these people. To think these are the people running the country. Just shows noone is accountable for the decisions being made.....

I might make an appointment with a local td or somthing like that. It'll be to late to apply but atleast in future campaigns it'll atleast be recognised . I really just find this insulting and I bet a lot of kids in the middle of LCA right now and very angry...

Advertisement