Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Fishing Tackle Shops

Options
  • 12-12-2013 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm heading to New York for a week after Christmas. First holiday in 8 years, and only because I got a cheap flight and have someplace to stay for free!

I bought a couple of mitchell fishing reels over there about 20 years ago. They were very cheap compared to here ( back when mitchell were expensive)

I was wondering if anyone has bought any fishing tackle over there, and where is a good place to visit, or is there anything worth getting when over there. I do all kinds of fishing but mostly fly fishing and tie my own flies.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I go here Orvis. Don Winter is the man there. The address is 522 5th ave, New York, New York, 10036. Phone number is 212 827 0698. Its a class fishing shop. Bring your wallet or re-morgate your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blacklawlessd

Thanks Kippure, i see what you mean. I was just on their website. They have some very decent looking stuff at affordable money. I was hoping to get a decent fly rod for going after sea trout in estuaries. I like the look of this one - http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1P6A&dir_id=758&group_id=23817&cat_id=24148&subcat_id=23820

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

www.shu-fly.com

About an hour from Manhattan.
    Very good quality equipment at great prices.
    Have used this stuff in the past and have no complaints.

Thank you very much Dr Turk Turkelton. Thats a brilliant tip. I'm going to be staying in Pearl River which is the next town over from Nanuet. His stuff looks very decent. What did you get from him?

www.shu-fly.com

About an hour from Manhattan.
    Very good quality equipment at great prices.
    Have used this stuff in the past and have no complaints.

Looks great - found a lot of positive reviews online about their rods, including this one - http://vimeo.com/39553193 I'll definately be paying shu-fly a visit

Thanks again for the tip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Guest0000

Do check out the sportsauthority.com, at cross county in Yonkers, you can take the 4 train or the bus to white plains stop nearby,
    Great value I think on fishing and outdoors, and right by Macy's, with a great sears. Com beside, finish off you day with an Applebee's, prefect day out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Looks great - found a lot of positive reviews online about their rods, including this one - http://vimeo.com/39553193 I'll definately be paying shu-fly a visit

Thanks again for the tip

There is also a mall in Westchester called Ridge Hill which has an Orvis store.
    It won't be far from where you are staying either if you want to save the trek to Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

I got some great stuff in Walmart out at Secaucus. Got the train out there. It was only a hop from Manhattan.

Advertisement