Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925 WOL port forwarding

Options
  • 12-12-2013 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I am trying to configure WOL on my PC. For some reason I am not able to get it forward packets to my pc. Tried my best. PLEASE help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

You typically only forward ports from a WAN to a LAN.
    Your WOL ( wake on LAN ), is typically only transmitted within the LAN.

Are you trying to send a WOL packet from the internet, to a local machine on your LAN ?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mexicanking

Thanks for you reply. I am trying to set WOL to work from the internet. But to setup I am trying to test within LAN. For some reason both is not working for me. I havn't done one before so may be some problem from my side. All the guide says forward port 9 UDP. But on my router it asks extenral IP, address and internal IP. Not sure where to use port 9. Any help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

WOL is mac address based, dont need to port forward to do it internally. Just send the nic the packet, done.

For externally doing WOL, I dont know if you can do that. Port forwards are a function of TCP/IP but WOL is done on MAC, so you wont have an IP address to forward it to. If you forwarded to the broadcast address I guess that might reach it.

I did try with the mac address giving the local IP. But still didnt work. I wil try this evening and post. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Waking from the internet does work. I do it every day from this site:

http://wakeonlan.me

All you need is the public IP of your router and the device MAC address inside your home network.

• Advertisement

By the way, you will need to forward UDP port 9 in order for that to work.

I did try but I get magic packet failed. Can you please check my screen shot of router port forward. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Yep. Under External, enter port 9 to 9 and it will work. All else is ok.

Still getting Magic packet failed....

From which site? Have you entered the correct public IP address for your home?

• Advertisement

I got it from my router which is same as one on google.

You should try and get it working internally first before external. Rules out any router issues.

Thanks. I am not sure where I am wrong. But it dosen't even work internally. I have set up WOL under driver properties and power management. But no luck. I am using a Vaio and they don't have bios settings to enable WOL. I have read that it is enabled by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Install "FugueUp" and plonk the vaios MAC into that. See if it works. If it doesnt then its the Vaio failing to respond.

At last got WOL working. Thank you all who tried to help me. The problem is that Vaio won't WOL when shutdown. But it does work when the pc is in sleep. I have two vaios and could not get it work. In works both local and via internet.
    Thank you all..

Advertisement