Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From skinny bloke to a rugby player - is it possible?

Options
  • 11-12-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Right, i've a simple enough issue to address.

Basically, I'm 18, 6'3, ~78kgs, love rugby but feeling very exposed to getting milled on the pitch.

When i played a few years back, i played as a second row but now i'd like to get more ball and experience what the backs are like (i'm thinking winger/center)

Any tips that can help me out would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

qwerty95 wrote: »

Basically, I'm 18, 6'3, ~78kgs, love rugby but feeling very exposed to getting milled on the pitch.

When i played a few years back, i played as a second row but now i'd like to get more ball and experience what the backs are like (i'm thinking winger/center)

Yeah, you'll get less ball in the backs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It is more than possible. Im 80kg ish and 6'1 and played senior seconds level and been fine. Its how you use yourself and how you play the game and you wont get hurt. If you are worried about getting milled you are more likely to get "milled" IMO.
    Where you based? Where you are based will help in terms of more levels to play at which will help make things easier. Being only 18 is also a great help as depending on where you are based you could also play under 20 rugby.
    Work on your core strength as that will help wrt getting "milled"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Plenty of smaller guys than you play rugby. If you haven't played in a while just come down to a club that has a j4/5 team and train with them for a bit. You'll find your feet pretty quick and know where you fit. It's often the smaller guys that are better actually. Technique is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

I'm currently playing senior cup rugby as a 7/2nd row and I weighed in at 78KG the other day. Lost Sheep is right, if you go in thinking you're going to get milled, you're going to get milled, it's all psychological! My advice would be hit the gym for 6 months-1 year and devote all you're time to that. My friend did it after last years season finished and over last summer and it made the world of difference, he's now playing leinster u18's and has trials for Ireland schools!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

jc4517 wrote: »
    I'm currently playing senior cup rugby as a 7/2nd row and I weighed in at 78KG the other day. Lost Sheep is right, if you go in thinking you're going to get milled, you're going to get milled, it's all psychological! My advice would be hit the gym for 6 months-1 year and devote all you're time to that. My friend did it after last years season finished and over last summer and it made the world of difference, he's now playing leinster u18's and has trials for Ireland schools!

who is the friend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

Andrew Porter, was on the bench today vs. Australia schools. Hard to miss him..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just get down to a local club and train with the J4/J5s that will let you find the right level and get a few games behind you while you focus on bulking up.

If you have a bit of speed about you, full back might be an option too. I'd say center is out though especially if you're worried about getting "milled"!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

.ak wrote: »
    Plenty of smaller guys than you play rugby. If you haven't played in a while just come down to a club that has a j4/5 team and train with them for a bit. You'll find your feet pretty quick and know where you fit. It's often the smaller guys that are better actually. Technique is king.

All about technique - body position + menality!

Played with a centre probably under 80kg, he was the best tackler on the pitch. His technique in tackling was phenomenal.

How do you feel about drinking lots of milk, and lifting lots of heavy things?

If this gets you excited, you are set.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

olympic lifts and lots of food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hit the weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just go in with the attitude that it's a fun sport and you'll have a great time playing it. Don't worry about your size, your coaches should take care of you.

And if you do intend on bulking up, this is an excellent training program to put on size. It's actually intended for bodybuilders, but what makes it good from the point of view of getting into rugby, is the emphasis it puts on the core - you'll be pretty much on your feet for the entire routine, squatting, deadlifting, barbell rowing, standing press, etc.

Someone with your dimensions, simply eating at about 20% above maintenance, could easily pack on 2 stone in the space of a year. No need for anything drastic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 10092

jc4517 wrote: »
    Andrew Porter, was on the bench today vs. Australia schools. Hard to miss him..

I'd just like to comment on that Andrew, didn't just get big from going to the gym for only 6 months to a year! Andrew eats like a horse all protein no carbs unless really needed and is still in the gym at least 4 times a week, plus rugby training for school and rugby training for leinster and irish schools. In fact he just started for irish u18 schools match on monday!! GYM is not the key to getting big!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Steve Perchance

I started playing rugby a couple of years ago - having just done the marathon, I was even lighter than you - around 75-76kg at 6 foot.

Although I've been to the gym in the offseason, just going to rugby training, playing matches and eating enough meant I put on quite a bit of (good) weight - I'm now 90 kg or so, and will probably still be in the high 80s when Christmas is fully run off :)

If you've played before and know the basics of tackling, rucking etc, you're in an even better position, plus you have the advantage of being 18 and full of testosterone.

You could spend a year in the gym first, but muscle is worth much less than gametime and the experience, confidence and knowledge that come with it. Get yourself down to your local club and get yourself involved. A couple of weeks of training, and you'll find your fears of getting milled have vanished :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

10092 wrote: »
    Andrew eats like a horse all protein no carbs unless really needed

I'd say there is good chunk of carbs in his diet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

You're 18. You'll fill out in a few years so start getting stuck in now. At 6'3", you're going to be used in the lineout so get good at that while you're still light enough to lift. If you're any good at carrying with okay hands, it's the back row you should be looking at.

Advertisement