Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.2 Masters Degree any good?

Options
  • 11-12-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

What the title says. Is it any good? Is it respected by potential employers or not?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

What the title says. Is it any good? Is it respected by potential employers or not?

Depends on the subject. Physics, yes. Arts, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lifesabitch

How about in the IT area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Its not my field, my guess would be it would be fine, but obviously people with higher grades might have an initial advantage. However, should you get to an interview (meaning they are ok with your CV), its almost 100% based on your personality. Same as any field.

Out of interest, did you do well at undergraduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

For IT it's mostly based on your ability to code (and to think logically) rather than a grade

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lifesabitch

Its not my field, my guess would be it would be fine, but obviously people with higher grades might have an initial advantage. However, should you get to an interview (meaning they are ok with your CV), its almost 100% based on your personality. Same as any field.

Out of interest, did you do well at undergraduate?

At undergrad I only did a H.Dip in IT and I got a first. But obviously level 9 is step up so I'm just kind of wondering how I might fair in the world with a 2.2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Might be okay but it surely depends on what the employer is looking for and what field it is? Only in very particular circumstances would it be sufficient for a PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

You're going to have to start being a lot more specific if you want to get meaningful feedback. IT is an incredibly broad term, often incorrectly applied.

What exactly is your Masters and what exactly is it that you want to do? I'm assuming that, because you're posting on the Postgraduates forum that you're interested in pursuing another post-grad?

Advertisement