Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

900,000 slaves in Europe

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Its demand basically that dictates supply these guys who buy do not care what state the women are in basically trapped and held as prisoners.

Its disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    I knew this was a massive problem, but had no idea the numbers involved!
    Which problem? Slavery or sexual slavery? One thing that disturbs me about this topic is that the vast majority, by that articles own figures, of this slavery is not related to the sex industry, yet it seems to be the only type of slavery that anyone seems to care about.

What about the other 610,000 slaves being exploited non-sexually? It's difficult to even find an article that discusses them, let alone see anything being done about it, but here's one if anyone cares.

And where are these estimates coming from anyway? I don't remember the option for 'slave' being there on the last census form.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst there are trafficked individuals present in Europe in a variety of unsavory roles, my take away from a talk given by the Dept. of Justice on this is that, the figures are by their nature due to the uncertain. This is in part to the ambiguous nature of reporting.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Which problem? Slavery or sexual slavery? One thing that disturbs me about this topic is that the vast majority, by that articles own figures, of this slavery is not related to the sex industry, yet it seems to be the only type of slavery that anyone seems to care about.

What about the other 610,000 slaves being exploited non-sexually? It's difficult to even find an article that discusses them, let alone see anything being done about it, but here's one if anyone cares.

And where are these estimates coming from anyway? I don't remember the option for 'slave' being there on the last census form.

Well ok, the numbers are obviously estimates based the work of charities, the police, and other related action groups.

What so I care about?

I personally don't think any form of slavery is great.

Well ok, the numbers are obviously estimates based the work of charities, the police, and other related action groups.
    Well, TBH, the numbers are really off topic, although they would make for an interesting discussion in another thread. My point was more that they're not "obviously" anything, they're just numbers we're given and we trust to be accurate and thus we presume they must be. And, increasingly, I've discovered that many such numbers are anything but.
    I personally don't think any form of slavery is great.
    I agree, but the article you posted wasn't really about slavery, it was about a controversial law, designed to counteract a minority of slavery cases and as we saw with the post immediately after yours, that's what the thread would have become dominated by, and not about slavery.

• Advertisement

Well, TBH, the numbers are really off topic, although they would make for an interesting discussion in another thread. My point was more that they're not "obviously" anything, they're just numbers we're given and we trust to be accurate and thus we presume they must be. And, increasingly, I've discovered that many such numbers are anything but.

I agree, but the article you posted wasn't really about slavery, it was about a controversial law, designed to counteract a minority of slavery cases and as we saw with the post immediately after yours, that's what the thread would have become dominated by, and not about slavery.

Actually they ARE obviously something...

As for what you think the thread should have been about or whatever, knock yourself out.

Actually they ARE obviously something...
    If you know where those numbers came from, perhaps - who commissioned them and who they are, what methodology and standards they used, and so on. If you know all of the above and can vouch for the validity of those numbers, then great; otherwise you're taking it on faith, or presumption, just like the rest of us, that there's anything obvious about them.

Anyhow, it's not really on topic and I don't really want to derail things.
    As for what you think the thread should have been about or whatever, knock yourself out.
    About 900,000 slaves in Europe, as per the thread title?

If you know where those numbers came from, perhaps - who commissioned them and who they are, what methodology and standards they used, and so on. If you know all of the above and can vouch for the validity of those numbers, then great; otherwise you're taking it on faith, or presumption, just like the rest of us, that there's anything obvious about them.

Anyhow, it's not really on topic and I don't really want to derail things.

About 900,000 slaves in Europe, as per the thread title?

Easy enough to find the info if you feel the thread needs it.

Sure, google is your friend so... Happy hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

While I agree that other cases are under reported I don't think that a reporting ratio mirroring the rate of slavery types is necessarily the answer. To be glib, I'd rather be a workslave for that Irish gang operating in Scandanavia than a sexslave in a brothel, if it came down to it.
    So while all slavery is wrong, some types of slavery are going to generate a much stronger emotional reaction from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

It's an emotive issue, and to put it bluntly I'd say it gets more clicks and sells more papers. It's one of the lowest down most disgusting examples of the eternal truth: sex sells. Especially where children are involved, people are going to get incredibly fired up about it and charities and the media pander to that. And I'd say they manipulate the situation of it being impossible to know the figures for sure to again, get clicks and sell papers.

That said, I've seen plenty coverage of garden-variety slavery over the past year or so. The Sunday Times has done a lot on it if you fancy a google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

they should have a european united international crack down in europe to eliminate all of that crap

Advertisement