Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee suggestion for a christmas present

Options
  • 11-12-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Picked up an aeropress for my dad for his christmas present. Don't drink coffee myself, at all, and so I need a few suggestions for coffee to go with it, so he's not left with an empty cup on Christmas day. :P

I haven't gotten him a grinder, so it will need to be pre-ground. Not sure if that's even the correct terminology but I think you get the point.

If you could post some links for me to check out, that would be great.

I'm only guessing here, but I think he prefers a medium strength coffee if that's any help to you.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I wouldn't be an expert, but I'd imagine (and have found) that fresh (recently roasted/ground) coffee is the way to go with an aeropress. I've been using mine for a couple of weeks now, and the difference between pre-packaged ground coffee and freshly roasted/ground beans is dramatic. I currently only have a blade grinder (but I understand santy is going to sort that out for me!) but the results are remarkable. So in your case, I'd suggest going to one of the fresh roasters and ordering freshly roasted coffee, in a grind suitable for an aeropress. If you wanted bonus points, some kind of sampler of different types of freshly ground coffee would be the way to go. Do you have any siblings who might cough up for a grinder? Then you could go the whole bean route.

You could order online from somewhere like BadgerandDodo, or visit one of the decent coffee shops in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

You could order online from somewhere like BadgerandDodo, or visit one of the decent coffee shops in your area.

Thanks for the reply Krusty.

Do those guys do a selection of samples? Would be a great idea.

For the moment im not getting a grinder so it will have to be some pre ground stuff.

I'll have a look at that link when I get home from college. Also need to check out has bean when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

illy coffee is great - recommended it in a different thread. I would drink a lot of coffee and it definitely never fails the taste test when tried on friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Pop into any of the cafe's that roast their beans in house and they will freshly grind them for you. They should be able to recommend some beans based on your dads taste. World of difference compared to off the shelf ground coffee.

jester77 wrote: »
    Pop into any of the cafe's that roast their beans in house and they will freshly grind them for you. They should be able to recommend some beans based on your dads taste. World of difference compared to off the shelf ground coffee.

Any suggestions for Dublin city? Have no idea what I should be looking for. :P

Would mean I don't have to get it until a closer date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

gavmcg92 wrote: »

CoffeeAngel on South Anne st should be able to sort you out, they'll talk you through everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Coffee angel, 3FE and vice coffee are all around the city centre. There is a also a new coffee shop at entrance to Georges arcade, sorry don't know the name of it. Any of these guys will grind you a bag of their freshly roasted beans.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Going to head in next week to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Pick this up as close to xmas as possible - preground coffee will stale really fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

http://coffeeclub.robert-roberts.ie/

Got this as a gift last year, you can get preground or whole beans.
    Getting it again this year!

• Advertisement

Thanks again everyone.

Just to close out this thread, the girls in coffee angel were great. Picked up a bag of Kebel Dumerso tonight, freshly ground.

Advertisement