Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom Tooth Pain, Cost & Advice!!

Options
  • 11-12-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

i have a wisdom tooth on bottom jaw sticking out of my gums on both sides for few years now, but every now and they one side in particular causes a lot of pain. at the moment its flared up and it hurts to swallow and even eat. the bottom of my jaw is sore too, i don't have any health insurance and dentist quoted something like 450 or 500 quid for removal of each surgically!!
    i have a medical card and was wondering if i could get anything done or even the tooth extracted on medical card??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Nodferatu wrote: »
    i have a wisdom tooth on bottom jaw sticking out of my gums on both sides for few years now, but every now and they one side in particular causes a lot of pain. at the moment its flared up and it hurts to swallow and even eat. the bottom of my jaw is sore too, i don't have any health insurance and dentist quoted something like 450 or 500 quid for removal of each surgically!!
    i have a medical card and was wondering if i could get anything done or even the tooth extracted on medical card??

Hi op,
    Recurrent infections with impacted wisdom teeth is a good reason to have the wisdom tooth/teeth out...
    A lot of general dentists don't remove impacted wisdom teeth, those who do probably would not do it on the medical card as it pay peanuts for an often difficult procedure....

You could be seen in the dental hospital on the medical card but be aware of the very long waiting lists...

You could also go to a private oral surgeon and get the painful tooth out in the meantime... Your quote is a bit on the high side. I charge €300 to take out a lower wisdom tooth under local anaesthetic...

Good luck,
    Os

Advertisement