Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Pubs as a non-drinker?

Options
  • 11-12-2013 7:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys. Just looking for some advice if anyone has any?

I'm 22 and a long time non-drinker, never really started in the first place, so I'm well used to going out on nights out with drunken friends and have seen some messy ones in my time. I normally handle them fine and will enjoy myself just as much as anyone else would. I have never actually been on a 12 Pubs night before though and for some reason I am getting a little anxious about one that I have been invited to. My friends have organised one in Cork and I'm confident that they will probably take full advantage of the night. Some of the others have calmed down on their drinking lately but are still known to go all out when they want to. Only one of us actually lives in Cork too so we're all sleeping on their floor, which of course means there is no option of slipping out early. Between the cost of getting there and knowing that I will, most likely, be the only sober person amongst the drunk group, I am starting to wonder if going would be such a good idea?

Has anyone gone on a 12 Pubs sober before. Any tips as to how to handle it or would I be smarter to leave it? Like I said, I can usually handle drunk people just fine, but I'm worried that I may end up to trapped if everyone else is drunk and I have no way to leave early if I want/need to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Plenty of people drop out due to being too ****ed up to continue. If I were you, I'd skip it and enjoy the condition they're in two days later (they'll still be drunk the morning after). The 12 pubs is a joke. No pub wants to be higher that 6 on the list. They ring ahead to warn other pubs about messy groups. Rarely does it end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Its chaos and I'd imagine if not drinking I'd not fun and with no option to slip off and on the floor sounds rough.

The idea of it is to see who makes the biggest fool out of themselves and hope its not then but nobody remember. Even when I was drinking I became to really hate it as its pathetic and feel sorry for the folk wanting to have a sociable drink and 10 clowns arrive in and take over the place

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Well now one of the guys has said that I shouldn't go - "Its the 12 pubs of Christmas not the 12 glasses of water of Christmas."
    I'm pretty sure that he's not a big fan of me anyway but I suppose that that's my answer isn't it?

If it were your home town I would have suggested arranging to meet other friends at pub three or four and then staying there.

If your friend is being like that I can't imagine he will be very polite after a dozen pints.

I can't imagine it would be much fun having them arrive in after that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

People doing 12 pubs are usually obnoxious and even most of those drinking in the pub can't stand them coming in taking over the place, being sober with a group of them would not be fun imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Sounds like a nightmare OP. I can only stand drunk people for a few hours. Going out with a group of people intent on getting that drunk would turn into a massive pain in the arse. I'd make some kind of excuse if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well now one of the guys has said that I shouldn't go - "Its the 12 pubs of Christmas not the 12 glasses of water of Christmas."
    I'm pretty sure that he's not a big fan of me anyway but I suppose that that's my answer isn't it?

Well, he fails the diplomacy and tact exam but at heart he is correct. Its a messy waste of a day if you're on the beer. Its completely pointless and embarrassing if you're sober. Put €50 into an envelope on the morning of the 12 pubs. If you don't go it will still be there the next morning and you can buy something nice for yourself for Christmas. You deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Sounds like an asshole. Wouldn't bother going. Save the money and headache, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm the same age as you and also just never started drinking; for me, it would depend on the group. I've been on nights away and pub crawls with various groups and I'd have no problem doing it again, but then there are other people who I just wouldn't want to be with on a night like that. Especially when you know you can't leave early if it all gets too messy.

From the sounds of things, though, some of this group don't sound the nicest sober, let alone drunk. (Although, I'm ridiculously stubborn so a comment like that would nearly make me determined to go just to p*ss him off :p ). So unless there's others in this group that you like and know won't be horrible when they're drunk, it might be a good idea to avoid it and save your money. It's a lot of time and money to waste if there's a high chance that it's gonna be an awful night.

Advertisement