Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniature statue

Options
  • 11-12-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I found this today. Can anyone shed light on what it's origins might be?

Statue%201.jpg

Statue%202.JPG

Statue%203.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

What's the material?
    There seems to be a doll-like socket for arms and an imprint (s?) of where the arms appear to have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

The material is quite dense, possibly marble or something similar.. maybe softer... soapstone? alabaster?... There are holes on both sides where presumably articulated arms were attached or was it part of a carved relief type picture with the holes used to hold the indvidual carvings in place?

It looks hand carved. Roman votive statue??

I also found a smaller carved elephant nearby some months ago, and now I'm wondering if the two are related. Will post some pics of the elephant later.

Here is the elephant found nearby some time ago. Seems to be the same material.

Elephant%201.jpg

Elephant%202.jpg

Elephant%203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I'm not an expert but it looks like weathered Ivory. The holes at the shoulders could be for arms or for attaching several similar figures together, without arms.

The side pictured appears to indicate that a similar sized figure was attached from the shoulder to the ankle.

The lower extremities where the feet should be is interesting in that there appears to be something other than feet as if the figure was standing on or in something.

The elephant appears to have had a woman/girl or a warrior sitting on its back but it is very worn.

Great finds and nice for your collection, thank you for sharing, as always I love looking at the items you post and trying to figure out what they are.

I did some searching around and found this,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pc-Rare-Vintage-Girl-Doll-Sitting-On-Elephant-Ceramic-Porcelain-Figurine-Toy-/400494774642

Very similar to your elephant in its styling.

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure it's ivory, think it's more like pipeclay, also it appears to have been made in a mold.

Terracotta%20Figurines.jpg

Hopefully it's a Gaulish roman votive Venus statuette like this one!

0e9332701c39cd7d9b676b4e836940db.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Pipe clay, I hadn't thought of that.

I was coming down on the side of ivory or bone given the tiny holes apparent on the broken base and neck.

I hope it turns out to be a Roman votive Venus statuette.

http://www.celticwebmerchant.eu/a-30226506/roman-house-altars/roman-votive-statue-goddess-venus/

Advertisement