Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver theory test book

Options
  • 11-12-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I have a driver theory test book from 2007. I got a loan of it from a friend. I'm doing my theory test in a few weeks. On the website they said that it's necessary to have the latest edition of the book, but do I really need to buy a new book? Do you think I'd get away with studying from one that's 6 years old. Does anyone know if there's much of a difference between them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

clairefitz wrote: »
    Hi I have a driver theory test book from 2007. I got a loan of it from a friend. I'm doing my theory test in a few weeks. On the website they said that it's necessary to have the latest edition of the book, but do I really need to buy a new book? Do you think I'd get away with studying from one that's 6 years old. Does anyone know if there's much of a difference between them?

Thanks.

The test has changed in 6 years particularly in the test format. I think the test you have has multiple right answers whereas there is only 1 in latest test . Some questions will have been changed/added since then.
    Not sure when edition 6 is being used in test as Prometric won't give me a straight answer. Initially they said 2014 now they say speak to RSA. RSA to get back to me today, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

The only difference is that they've added a good few more questions. My partner recently did his test with my old book that I used in 2011 and he came out passing but did say it could have gone either way as there were four new questions on his exam compared to the old version.
    Maybe go into the library and have a look through a book and see if you spot anything new before your exam

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    The test has changed in 6 years particularly in the test format. I think the test you have has multiple right answers whereas there is only 1 in latest test . Some questions will have been changed/added since then.
    Not sure when edition 6 is being used in test as Prometric won't give me a straight answer. Initially they said 2014 now they say speak to RSA. RSA to get back to me today, hopefully!

RSA have said there is no difference in car theory from edition 5 to 6 they've just removed Truck and Bus from the new one.
    It wasn't supposed to be in shops til Feb/Mar 2014
    Communication problems between Prometric/RSA, no change there then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

Hi, I have been studying edition 5 for my C theory test. I was going to apply for the theory test last week but when I checked the RSA website I realised that there was a new edition 6.
    I tried ordering it online but for some reason it would not work. I also called into Easons in Longford and they did not have it and are waiting for it to come in.
    Other that the 4.65m height change do you think there are any other changes?
    Basically what I am wondering is, could I sit the test with what I have learned from the 5th edition.

Rho b wrote: »
    Hi, I have been studying edition 5 for my C theory test. I was going to apply for the theory test last week but when I checked the RSA website I realised that there was a new edition 6.
    I tried ordering it online but for some reason it would not work. I also called into Easons in Longford and they did not have it and are waiting for it to come in.
    Other that the 4.65m height change do you think there are any other changes?
    Basically what I am wondering is, could I sit the test with what I have learned from the 5th edition.

Book the test, if it's off Edition 5 then it will cost €45. The new test is changing and being amalgamated with Part 1 of CPC as one test so I expect will be €72+ therefore Edition 6 study material. I was told by RSA Chief Examiner that this is due Feb/Mar 14

• Advertisement

Thank you Motor-Ed I will book it in the morning :)
    Just one more question if you don't mind. My partner has his own truck and if I pass the theory test he will put me on the insurance so that I can get practice driving. When it comes to doing my driving test do I have to get driving lessons from a approved driving instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Just one more question if you don't mind. My partner has his own truck and if I pass the theory test he will put me on the insurance so that I can get practice driving. When it comes to doing my driving test do I have to get driving lessons from a approved driving instructor.

No, that rules only applies to first time holders of Car and Motorcycle LP's.

Thank you Faith for your advice. I will let ye know how I get on with the theory test.

As Faith says you are not obliged to. But I would recommend a mixture of both, get some practice and some professional advice, particularly regarding any areas on test route that might require local knowledge.
    Let me know what way the Theory test booking goes. Remember to use the official one as the bogus site is catching out lots of people

https://www.drivingtest.ie/ApplicantSelfScheduleTesting/Applicants/ApplicationSignIn.aspx

Motor Ed - I booked the theory test online on Saturday. It was €45 and I chose the 30th of Jan to do it.

• Advertisement

Motor Ed - I booked the theory test online on Saturday. It was €45 and I chose the 30th of Jan to do it.

That looks good.
    Edition 5 study material for you I would suggest

Advertisement