Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Party Rip off

Options
  • 11-12-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Its the Christmas party and the food is paid for in advance. I am not drinking the Chauteux Neuf, Proseco, or pints. Content with the solitary soft drink. However the bill gets split and you find you have to throw in an extra tenner to subsidise the drinkers.

Anyone any solutions to this apart from the obvious dont go?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Its the Christmas party and the food is paid for in advance. I am not drinking the Chauteux Neuf, Proseco, or pints. Content with the solitary soft drink. However the bill gets split and you find you have to throw in an extra tenner to subsidise the drinkers.

Anyone any solutions to this apart from the obvious dont go?

Don't go, or say nothing. Otherwise you'll just come across as a spoil sport and tight git. That's the harsh reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

if your having a solitary soft drink..it would be fair mean colleagues that would make you contribute at all to a bar tab...if even only for the one you had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Theyd hardly ask a non drinker to subsidise the drinking bill?

You wont come across as a tight git, no one would think that!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

Just ask for the meal and alcohol to be billed separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get your own drink at the bar and pay for it there instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

biko wrote: »
    Get your own drink at the bar and pay for it there instead.

i would have no issue with a non drinker not paying a full % of a bill...in fact I would be reluctant to accept if they offered to.

IN SAYING THAT..I have a friend, non drinker, and he always insists on putting a full % in to the pot....Go figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Start doing what the younger generation do. Instead of splitting the bill six ways say, each of the six pay for what they've eaten and drank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I think people are missing the point. The meal is PREPAID.

So the OP is not talking about splitting a bill that includes food (where you get some people had dessert, some had tea/coffee etc....).

Its a drinks bill ONLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Tell the truth - you don't drink and are damned paying the prices they charge nowadays. Even the office alkie will agree with you on that one. Go solo. Some other people will have three pints of Guinness, the next girl murder a vodka and lime. Fair play in an ideal world. One or two will decide that Black Russians and Vodka/Redbull are the new water and up the bill to mid three figures. Leave the one or two to their own devices. Point is, if you raise the issue of severing the drinks bill now - you'll have more support than just the teetotalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Even easier when food paid in advance. I'd drink water but if drinking minerals they don't come free so you might end up subsidizing the drinkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I would just pay for my own soft drinks. No way would I be paying for other peoples alcoholic drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

As A drinker I would have no problem with a non drinker opting out of the drink bill.

It would be a bit harsh if your co workers tried to make you pay a full share of the drinks bill IMO.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Advertisement