Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Tethering using Phone on Three Network

Options
  • 11-12-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So I live somewhere that is still behind in fibre optic broadband and my phones 3G/H+ is actually faster than my wifi.

So it would be very beneficial if I could play using my phones 3G instead. I remember trying it with ps3 but always got disconnected in cod servers pretty quickly. I have unlimited data with Three network.

Is this possible at all?
    Possible on PS4?

Any workaround if it's not as simple as, start Tether, connect ps4 to phone, start game?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Yup its possible i use my mobile internet on my ps4 all the time because its faster than the house internet. if u have an iphone its easy to do just turn on personal hotspot and connect with ur ps4. or if u have an android phone i think u need to download an app to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I have a samsung now but when I had the iphone one issue that took ages to figure out was to get rid of the apostrophe.. ie John's iphone

My PS3 at the time couldnt recognise it, I havent tried on the PS4 as of yet!
    It might save you alot of time and heartache getting rid of it in iTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭i124Q

Yup its possible i use my mobile internet on my ps4 all the time because its faster than the house internet. if u have an iphone its easy to do just turn on personal hotspot and connect with ur ps4. or if u have an android phone i think u need to download an app to do it

Thanks for the reply. Have you used it to play the likes of battlefield and COD? You haven't got kicked from servers at all using 3G?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

i have been using a Samsung and Three 3G tethering since PS4 came out and im having very little issues. just the usual occasional lag on BF4 but nothing too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

Im in a similar position to the OP living in the middle of nowhere but when playing COD and a few other games my Nat Type comes up as strict which wont allow for party chat and the likes. Is there a way around this? Can i change the phones settings so it will be Nat type 1?? Its an iOS device and on three network. Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 manmountain69

can someone do a step by step guide as my ps4 only seems to pick up my modem and not my phone. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Damien360

can someone do a step by step guide as my ps4 only seems to pick up my modem and not my phone. thanks

Pretty sure 3 do not allow tethering on their phones. They will sell a dongle instead.

But on iphone, settings, turn on mobile hotspot. It will be alpha123... On ps3/ps4 go to internet connection and choose wireless. You will see the alpha connection as wifi, connect and enter the password as displayed on your iphone. It should now be working.

Android is very similar but cannot remember what they call it.

on my ps4 i go to set up internet connection, then i select use WiFi, then how do i want to set up my connection? i select easy, then i shows 3 options

1. my router
    2. set up using WPS button
    3. set up using AOSS

then another option is set up manually

my phone doesn't appear on this menu

just worked it out. i have to switch the off my wifi on my phone, then switch on my hotspot, then switch my wifi back on and it works. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Damien360 wrote: »
    Pretty sure 3 do not allow tethering on their phones. They will sell a dongle instead.

But on iphone, settings, turn on mobile hotspot. It will be alpha123... On ps3/ps4 go to internet connection and choose wireless. You will see the alpha connection as wifi, connect and enter the password as displayed on your iphone. It should now be working.

Android is very similar but cannot remember what they call it.
    It's against the terms of you contract on three but there is nothing they can do to stop you. I have a Galaxy S3 and tether my PS4, xbox360, vita and laptop off it.

I enquired in the three store in Galway if i could do it and the shop assistant said they were told not to advise people to do it because they were trying to sell the dongles.

I've an 'unlimiited' data plan so it's great. Not sure if it can be stopped on other phones as I'm due an upgrade soon and don't want to be restricted in doing it. I was paying fifty five euro a month for sh1tty eircom broadband before this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement