Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical in Swords - venue?

Options
  • 10-12-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I am looking to see if anyone with broader knowledge would know where to start with this?

A friend of mine is looking at putting on a musical in the Swords area but is struggling to find a venue with a stage!! Does anyone have any knowledge of any schools / theatres around there that may be suitable?

As this is their first production it wouldn't need to be huge - just enough capacity to cover overheads.

He is concious of not going too far towards Rush or Malahide as there are other musical societies based there and wouldn't want to tread on anyone's toes.

Any help or guidance on where to start would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

To be honest the last thing that area needs is a new musical society. Rush is quite separate but Malahide, Portmarnock and Baldoyle all have societies competing for the same audiences...and men!

As for a musical covering overheads or breaking even..that is highly unlikely. Costs include performing rights, insurance, sound, lights, costumes, production team, band, venue hire, music stand hire, set...and that's off the top of my head. Productions in Dublin generally lose 10-50k depending and I know of one that made a five figure loss. It's not as simple as just deciding you want to put a show on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Loupug

Athtrasna...that's not a very helpful response. Sounds like you are afraid of a little competition. Why shouldn't swords have their own musical society? In answer to the question, both the senior citizens centre and the pe hall in st cronins have a stage.

Loupug wrote: »
    Athtrasna...that's not a very helpful response. Sounds like you are afraid of a little competition. Why shouldn't swords have their own musical society? In answer to the question, both the senior citizens centre and the pe hall in st cronins have a stage.

Excuse me but I have been involved in musical theatre in Dublin for almost 15 years, and I don't live in that area of the city. I have however supported the musical societies in that area and know many people in them and know the issues they have.

My post also gives information on the OP's wish to "break even", to stage a musical in Dublin costs at least €20,000 more like €30,000. Losses are standard, breaking even or profit is almost totally unheard of. Dublin has lost in the region of ten societies in the past decade due to the financial strains of funding shows and poor audiences. This is why I advise against staging a show in an area that is already over saturated with societies.

So actually I think it was a very helpful and relevant response from someone who knows what they are talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Loupug

HiAthtrasna
    I understand that you have lots of experience and that it does involve a lot of work and a lot of finance to stage a musical. From that point of view your comments were useful. And I'm now sure well meant.
    But Perhaps you could have been more encouraging to a fellow music lover, like suggesting how they might join a nearby society or get involved with another production.
    No offence intended by my original comment. I'm just now wondering why swords does not have a group like this and feel that given its size and population could benefit enormously from having one.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Excuse me but I have been involved in musical theatre in Dublin for almost 15 years, and I don't live in that area of the city. I have however supported the musical societies in that area and know many people in them and know the issues they have.

My post also gives information on the OP's wish to "break even", to stage a musical in Dublin costs at least €20,000 more like €30,000. Losses are standard, breaking even or profit is almost totally unheard of. Dublin has lost in the region of ten societies in the past decade due to the financial strains of funding shows and poor audiences. This is why I advise against staging a show in an area that is already over saturated with societies.

So actually I think it was a very helpful and relevant response from someone who knows what they are talking about!

Loupug wrote: »
    HiAthtrasna
    I understand that you have lots of experience and that it does involve a lot of work and a lot of finance to stage a musical. From that point of view your comments were useful. And I'm now sure well meant.
    But Perhaps you could have been more encouraging to a fellow music lover, like suggesting how they might join a nearby society or get involved with another production.
    No offence intended by my original comment. I'm just now wondering why swords does not have a group like this and feel that given its size and population could benefit enormously from having one.

Again you seem to want to tell me what I should have said??? I don't believe in sugar coating the truth, I've seen people who've taken on massive personal debt after losses from shows where a society has simply not been able to cover costs. I'm talking in excess of €15k here. The OP's friend did not seem to understand the financial aspect of staging a show in Dublin.

Had the OP been asking about musical societies in Swords I would have given the advice about other societies etc.

Swords has a large transient population, quite a percentage tends to live in the area for 1-3 years, and then leave the area. That makes a musical society hard to sustain, new blood is important but it's your core that keeps it going. The abundance of established societies within a short drive also has an effect.

It may surprise you to know that Cork city doesn't have a musical society despite having three times the population of Swords. There are so many other factors involved in sustaining a musical society beyond just numbers of people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think you've both gotten your points across here, folks.
    Obviously it's good to encourage people, but clearly the pitfalls and expenses have to be pointed out, as the cost involved can be very, very high.

The OP has been given a lot to think about so I'll close this thread for now, as their question has been answered. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement